Chapter 14 - The Comeback

"Anyways, are you coming over for dinner tonight?", Claire asks me.

She and I have been talking for over an hour. Thankfully she wasn't mad at me for not reaching out to her in the past few days. She didn't even comment on it. All she wanted to know was how I am feeling, how I am holding up and if she could do anything for me. I still can't believe how supportive this woman is to me.

"Actually, your son invited me to this instructors get-together at his place. So, I am going there for dinner, but thank you for your offer." I look at my watch. Fuck, I am going to be late. I still don't know what to wear as there are almost everything, she gave me, is laying on the bed before me.

"Ah, I forgot all about that. You will probably need to get ready."

"Yeah...", I tell her and look down at what I am wearing and then back on the bed. I am still in my flight suit and can't wait to get out of it. It's not uncomfortable, actually it's better than a regular uniform. Still, it's not what I prefer to wear when I am off duty.

"Okay, I don't want to keep you any longer, besides William will be home soon. Have fun, but you should swing by in the next few days, or I will be mad at you."

"Sure Claire, I will do that." Quickly we say our goodbyes. I have an hour left and I still don't know where he lives.

I'd need your address, or I might not be able to find your place, I text Dave before stepping into my shower. Efficiently I wash my hair and my body. I am glad to finally get off all the sweat from flying and sand from being outside in the desert of my skin.

I am more than happy to be able to be in a jet again, but the forces of gravity from the past few years are occasionally showing their effects on my body. It is not uncommon for fighter pilots to get pain in the neck or in the back, that's why we train so much. Daphne told me to watch out for this when she gave me a physical. She was amazed by my overall physical health and how fit I am after having broken several bones after my crash.

After ejecting out of my plane in Jordan, the landing wasn't pretty. I broke my left foot, my left radius and ulna, one or two rips as well as couple of contusions and bruises. I don't really remember anything after the ejection. I woke up in a hospital room with Wifi by my side. He told me that I was in Germany, and I had been rescued out of Jordan.

It was days later when one of the senior officers told me what happened and that we had lost five other pilots. I was so fueled with rage that I started to get back on my feet. While they estimated my physical recovery to be at least nine months, I was running after three. Since then, I have let out my anger and frustration in the gym.

With each movement I make, I can feel my sore muscles and the tightness in them. Whenever I pull high-Gs it feels like an elephant is sitting on my body. But I wouldn't want to change that for anything in the world anymore. I really need to be up there. I need to overcome my fear of something happening. The fear of death and loss.

As soon as I get out of the shower, I see that Dave has written me back with his address. I look it up and I am probably going to be late.

You could have warned me, that you live further away from base.

It never came up. It's beautiful out here though. You will see.

I am going to be late.

Don't worry. While all of us are always punctual at meetings most of us show up late to social events like this one.

I see. Should I bring something?

I have everything here and it's already prepared. I guess you just need good mood. :D

Yeah, I can do that.