Chapter 15 - Wicked Game

"These are the last ones", Dave tells me as he puts about five plates onto the kitchen counter, and I sigh. It's astonishing how much tableware we used tonight.

"Thanks again for helping me with all the cleaning up. Without you I wouldn't be finished by tomorrow morning.", he says as I put the first plate into his dishwasher.

"Don't worry about it, I think this is becoming a thing for us now. I'm sure you would do the same for me and you let me sleep in you guest bedroom, so I am not going to complain about that."

"You had couple of beers. My mum would have a field day with me if she thought I was going to let you drive in this condition."

"So, I am only allowed to sleep here because of your mum?", I ask him amused.

"Don't put words into my mouth."

"I have the feeling that Hyde made me drink them on purpose."

"Yeah. If you were to ask him, he would deny it though."

"Today, he made me believe that you were flying the past few days and that you were risking your life and the others. That was one of the reasons why I wanted to talk to you today. Because I though, you couldn't be that stupid."

"I told you I didn't. And this week was like a week off flying for my anyways." I look at him confused.
"As you have probably noticed preparing the briefings and debriefings as well as all the lectures we hold, takes time a lot of time. So, we split the work. While one of us is up there training them in the fighter the other one stays on the ground and goes through all the data."

"I guess you are partnered with Hyde."

"Thankfully no. He is one of my closest friends, but I couldn't be working with him all the time. Actually, Whiskey is my partner."

"She is pretty cool."

"I thought you would like her. She and Olivia are great friends of mine. Ashley went to the Academy with me as well. While I was able to get into pilot training right away, she had to wait a few months for the next class. I have always kept in touch with her, and I was glad, when I heard that she is teaching here. I think it is her last SFTI program as instructor though."

"I might ask her about it. Daph, Olivia, she and I exchanged numbers and we will go out some time."

"Wow, I am glad to hear that you are making new friends."

"Yeah, me too. It feels like Fallon is the hotspot for strong women.", I tell him, and he laughs amused.

"I think so too. Anyways, are you okay with finishing up in here while I go outside and take care of the firepit?"

"Sure. It's not that much anymore.", I tell him and look around in his large kitchen.
"There are only a few plates left and some glasses. It probably wouldn't take long."

"Okay, I just don't want to make you feel like I am leaving all that to you to deal with."

"Go and take care of that fire.", I tell him and shoo him out of the kitchen.

"Yes, Ma'am.", he says before leaving and I start to laugh.

After I have finished up cleaning the kitchen, I take out two beers of his fridge and look where he is. From his living room I can see him sitting in front of the firepit with just his t-shirt on and starring into the fire. In the flickering light, I can make out that he is cold, as goose bumps adorn his arms. While I hold the two beers in one hand, I take the blanket from his couch with the other before joining him outside.

"What are you thinking so hard about?", I ask him as I sit down next to him.

"I want something like all of them have." I look at him questioningly and hand him his beer. He takes a sip before continuing, "Someone to spend my life with. One or even more children. A house filled with joy and laughter. Maybe even a dog who likes to lick everyone just to make the perfect mess complete."