Chapter 5: Battling Nightmares

Stephanie's heart skipped a beat as she wrung her hands, looking over at Notches, who made the 'speak up' mention with his paw, sitting in the chair she was sitting in. She looked back at Sir Topham Hatt as he grabbed the knob in his hand, and she panicked.

"I can't go out there, sir!" Stephanie exclaimed before Sir Topham Hatt was about to open the door. He turned back towards Stephanie as he removed his hand from the door after Stephanie exclaimed with a slight panic in her voice.

"Why not?" Sir Topham Hatt asked, barely opening the door as he turned his attention toward Stephanie. She started to wring her hand as she felt her heart beating against her chest as she chewed her lip nervously.

"I only know how to transform into a rat!" Stephanie protested because she felt afraid. "That's the only one! I'll get myself discovered and stomped on before we can do anything else!"

Sir Topham Hatt looked confused after Stephanie exclaimed before perking up as he turned away from the door. "Oh. So you must've discovered only one of these zodiacs."

"'One?'" Stephanie confusedly repeated the word, looking back up at Sir Topham Hatt. "There's more than one zodiac?"

"Of course!" Sir Topham Hatt nodded as he placed his hands on his jacket's collar. "Didn't you study astrology back home?"

"No," Stephanie slowly shook her head but silently grimaced after he mentioned 'home.' "We only sped through history, math, English, and PE and called that good."

Sir Topham Hatt looked confused after Stephanie explained, as she paused after he mentioned the 'second,' 'third,' and 'fourth' zodiacs. "Wait a moment." She took her pocket watch out and looked at it, seeing the second, third, and fourth symbols next to the Rat Zodiac and slowly piecing them together.

She pocketed her pocket watch, took out the journal from her sweater's pocket, and opened it, looking at the writing in the journal. Sir Topham Hatt perked up after noticing the journal as she flipped through the pages, re-reading the handwriting that read, 'transformed into a half-goat and half-human hybrid.'

She placed the journal down and reached into her sweater's pocket again, taking out another journal and flipping through it, noticing the pages for the Dusts, but there were a few other pages with the title, 'Zodiacs.'

"Why didn't I notice that?!" Stephanie softly exclaimed as Sir Topham Hatt noticed the journal in her hands. "I must've sped through the pages without looking twice."

"Then you need to slow down a little, Stephanie." Notches remarked, and Stephanie looked at him with a 'sorry' expression. She even noticed that Sir Topham Hatt was looking at the journal in her hands rather than staring at Notches. He did not hear him speak?

"Is that my friend's journal?" Sir Topham Hatt asked, mentioning the journal in Stephanie's hand. Stephanie perked up as she looked at him and asked, "Avril is your friend?"

"Yes," he nodded after Stephanie asked. "But how did you find it? He was carrying it during that battle a few hours ago."

'Hours?' Stephanie thought. "He thought it was hours?'

She decided to stay silent after Sir Topham Hatt asked before looking back at the journal and the list of zodiac signs Avril wrote. Mostly silently scolding herself for not noticing the second half of the zodiacs or even studying them before maintaining the pocket watch itself.

The first page has a drawing of the Zodiac Pocket Watch, describing the back with the gemstones and pointing towards the empty gem slots Stephanie saw when it took in the diamond. There was even the design of each symbol of the zodiac, and the page reads: