Chapter 9 𝐄𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝

Start from the beginning

"I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us," Carlisle explained.

"Our apologies. We didn't realize the territory had been claimed," Laurent replied.

"Yes, we maintain a permanent residence," Carlisle replied. The three newcomers exchange a look of surprise. "Really? Well, we won't be a problem anymore," Laurent replied.

"The humans were tracking us, but we led them East," Victoria replied. "You should be safe."

The way she said it made me feel uncomfortable. "Would you like to bat first?" Ella asked as we moved to our places. But the wind just had to blow.

It carried Bella and I scent, which floats to James, who stopped.

His head whipped around at us and he lurches into a crouch, his nostrils flaring, excitedly, eyes locked on us. "You brought snacks," he smiled deviously at us.

Edward and Jasper spring in front of us, baring their teeth.

A truly menacing, feral snarl rips from Jasper's throat. James growled back. In a flash, the Cullens rush into position behind Edward and Jasper as Laurent and Victoria line up behind James.

Layla and Esme pulled Bella and me behind them. "The girls are with us," Carlisle told them.

"We won't harm them," Laurent tried to defuse the situation. "Just try it," Emmett replied with a smile. "I think it best if you leave," Carlisle asked.

"Yes, I can see the game is over," Laurent agreed as he and Victoria turns to leave. "We'll go now. James?" But James' eyes don't leave Edward's and Jasper's.

Laurent puts a hand on James' shoulder, and finally, James backs into the woods with his cohorts, disappearing.

Once they're gone, Esme immediately gathers up the bats. "Get Bella and Alexis out of here. We'll follow them," Carlisle asked Jasper and Edward.

"I'll take the lead," Layla replied as she turned, running after the newcomers. Bella, whose mouth was gaping. With amazement.

I closed her mouth. "You're going to get sick," I reminded as Carlisle, Ella, and a resentful Rosalie raced off after the three vampires. Edward scoops Bella up as Jasper held me in his arms.

They ran to the Jeep and they strapped us in.

"James is a tracker. I saw his mind," Edward told Jasper. "The hunt is his obsession, and our reactions set him off." He got in the Jeep as I held Bella's hand.

"Is he going to kill us?" I asked.

"He'll have to get through me first," Jasper reminded me. "We're a large clan of strong fighters all protecting two vulnerable humans," Edward added.

"We just made this his most exciting game ever."

Bella blanched with the dawning realization of what she has just wrought up on them all as. The Jeep careens down the dirt mountain road.

A jolting, death-defying ride, splashing through creeks until we reached the end. The jeep speeds wildly down the road.

"The first place he'll go is your house. He'll track your scents there," Jasper told us. "What?!? Charlie's there. He's in danger because of us," Bella replied. "Because of us!" I added.

"Then we'll lead the tracker away from him. Somehow," Edward told us.

He angrily whips around a bend, mud flying. I take out my phone. Lending back so they don't see my screen. I started singing a song in my head. I started texting the family group chat.