Mom had helped me pack the one trunk I was allowed to bring after the door was transported by the movers. Mom had been barely holding it together this entire time and the tone of our household was very somber. She wanted me to be happy, that's what she's always told me, to always chase after my happiness. And here she had to ask me to sacrifice my freedom to save her other son's life.

Our family dynamic was weird, dad and I didn't get along but I was clearly his favourite child, while mom favoured Rishi although him and her weren't as close as her and I were. It's just one of the ironies of life I suppose. I still love my parents immensely, and I know they do as well.

I stood at the door with my trunk loaded into the black limousine that had been provided (more like forced) by Dominic.

"Say what you want but the man's got style" Chanyeol quipped looking at the sleek car parked up the driveway as he pulled up in his Volvo.

Sameer got out and gave me a strong hug while Chanyeol parked the car and greeted my parents.

"I'll miss you so much Jai. Stay safe" he said while pulling away. His handsome face still carried that little smile although he had grown out his hair. It framed his face perfectly. Looking at him you wouldn't think he'd been at a battlefield. It made my heart ache a little to see him here but I might never see him again, being stubborn and losing that chance would hurt way more.

"My OJ" Chanyeol said as he nudged Sameer aside and literally lifted me off my feet. He didn't let go but held me tight. I could feel him sobbing a little bit. He tried to speak but couldn't, instead he waved away the tears as Sameer hugged him from behind and kissed his neck.

"I hear he's very handsome. And I'm sure after the mating he'll be a new person. I'm sure yes I am." Chanyeol said nodding frantically trying to convince himself. It was a shock to all that he had marked me without us having sex because that's crude and masochistic. And making your mate suffer is really frowned upon.

I said my goodbyes and got into the car. As soon as I shut the door the car whizzed into action, not even sparing a millisecond for me to look back and take one last look at my loved ones standing outside the house I grew up in.

I somehow preferred that.

Arriving at the castle I was asked to wait in my allocated room where I was escorted by Sebastian. He asked me to unpack my things while he informed the Alpha.

"What about Rishi?" I asked.

"Luckily the Alpha is in your brother's chambers so we can kill two birds with one stone" Sebastian laughed like just the mention of the word kill makes him cackle.

Dominic was in Rishi's room? I hope everything's okay.

Soon I was reunited with Rishi who looked shocked that I returned, but quickly composed himself.

"This is goodbye then I suppose little brother. I'll come visit when I can" he smiled pulling me into a hug.

Of all the goodbyes I had had in the past few days this one felt the least patronising. I hated how Chanyeol, Sameer and my parents worried endlessly about me. Like I was some delicate flower being thrown in the mud. They all expected me to break to pieces, to be the one that will hurt in this mateship. And while I don't blame them because I am mated to the king of werewolves and living in his territory, no one had shown belief in me and my decision.

If that's not complicated enough I'm not even sure he's my mate.

I had a feeling he is. Because despite everything that happened I still felt drawn to him. His scent hit different, his touch felt different even the mark he had forced onto me I wasn't angry about no matter how hard I tried to muster up anger from the dark recesses of my soul. It felt right. Like the final piece of the puzzle.

But extraordinarily my wolf wasn't recognising him as such. He was passed out currently because he's been enervated lately but despite all the pain he was going through he stressed that Dominic wasn't our mate, sometimes in a way that felt spurious. Like he was trying so hard to get me to get away from him, despite all my senses driving me to his direction. I respect Nyx very much so I respect his privacy but he needs to spill the beans on his peculiar behaviour as soon as possible because it's driving me insane.

After seeing Rishi's off and having the door installed in my cabin, I just sat on my bed. It was super fluffy and comfortable. The whole room was but it felt lonely and isolating. The one advantage of being a werewolf is that you're never alone. You're always in a pack because we all want social connections. Even if not in a pack you have your wolf to talk to.

Hey Nyx.

.......

Still asleep are you?

Well I suppose he should sleep and gather his strength. The way he gets around Dominic, he'll need all his strength. I didn't mind being mated to Dominic even if Nyx said he's not our mate. Like I literally do not care about mates at this point and as an Omega, I doubt it makes any difference. They're all gonna have the same expectations of me which are easier to fulfil in a comfortable rich mansion than a normal apartment. Call me superficial but the fact that Dominic was rich didn't hurt. I mean if I had any choice I wouldn't be mated to anyone, but since I am, I'm trying to look at the bright side.

Bright-er side anyway. I doubt there is a single bright spot in this entire situation.

But if Nyx continued to act like that, kept doubling over in pain being so affected by being claimed by someone who he vehemently denies is our mate I can't keep putting him through this or the poor chap might die. In which case there is only one option.

I have to run away.