Chapter 13

The waves of frosty air blew past me as I walked into the science room Monday morning. For once, it was not the air conditioning unit blowing at full capacity but just the atmosphere itself.

It didn't take a genius to know that Elfred stood by his word and made the arrangements for Lucy to switch partners, even though switching was supposedly impossible. Flirtatious fairies had no trouble getting what they wanted. Why couldn't I have the luxury of good looks to swoon the teacher into breaking an unbreakable rule?

Lucy sat next to Elfred at his lab table in the back. I stood in the doorway for a moment, taking in the scene.

When an immortal chooses a partner or mate, it's not what humans call love. It's more of an obsession or possession. We were monsters. Selfish creatures out for our own greed. Lucy was now Elfred's. I'm not sure if she ever fully understood that. I honestly don't. Who would want to lose all freedom to the likes of another? If she were to change her mind later, a breakup would be nearly impossible.

I made my way to the lab table and sat my books down, noticing the frosty air was thicker as I took my seat. That's when I saw the reason. The one who now sat across from me was Athena. Elfred's old lab partner and who I knew would be sitting at my lab table. I sat at a table full of vamps. Great.

"I'm sorry." Elfred mouthed at me as my emerald eyes glared in his direction.

I tried hard not to be mad, but the fiery rage bubbled up my throat like a volcanic eruption. The lava was hard to contain. The sounds of my swallowing were so distinct that I was sure it would wake the dead.

"Oh, look who it is," Athena said, eyeing me with those lifeless grey colors from across the table. "You didn't tell me I would have to sit across from that hot mess."

Hot mess? That was laughable. Was that the best she could come up with? I chuckled under my breath at her lack of creativity. Antonio and Athena were a very fitting couple.

"You get to be with me, babe," Antonio said. "Just treat her like what she is, a statue that we can keep chipping away at, little by little." His malicious grin grew enough to show me his fangs.

I glanced over at Zane, who kept his head down, staring at the table. Not once did he attempt to put his friends in their place as they spoke their words of hatred toward me. Maybe my mind was right all along to never trust a vampire. A heart could be misleading.

Taps of footsteps could be heard entering the classroom, and the chattering of students stopped. Mr. Schwartz had finally taken his place behind his desk.

"I hope your projects are coming along well," he said. 

I glanced at Zane, who was now writing in his notebook. We have not even started ours, and now I was hoping I could do it myself and not bother with him. I managed to do well alone in this life so far. I don't need him for this project.

"I would like to remind you of a couple of things," he continued. "First, make sure that your project is about solving the impossible."

Solving the impossible? Like how could you break through the layers of ice to reach the heart below? Or better yet, how do you make a dead monster's heart beat again? As I processed my thoughts, I realized my feelings for Zane were unwavering, no matter how he acted.

"Second, make sure you have a parent present the day we present the projects," he said.

A parent? Well, this was going to be hard when I didn't have one of those. I wasn't even sure where I could get one.

"Looks like the orphan girl will have a tough time with this one," Athena said.

"There's your project, Zane. Finding Ember, a parent." Antonio laughed.