The Beta

"Dongju-ah, wake up. Please..."

Dongju opened his eyes as soon as the alfa's soft voice reached his ears. He blinked twice when he realized how cold the air around them was, despite Youngjo was carrying him in his warm human arms. The omega shivered, closing his eyes, and instinctively snuggling closer to the alfa's chest: "It's cold..." He simply complained, unwilling to go anywhere away from the other's comforting body.

"I know, I'm sorry to wake you up but, as you can tell, we are near the North Border." Youngjo calmly explained although his tired eyes couldn't stop wandering everywhere around them in search for any kind of red flower. "I really need you to help me find the rose right now..."

At those words, Dongju was wide awake and already staring carefully at their surroundings: he could definitely tell they were near the North Border judging by how clean and cold the air was, the trees were a dark shade of green and the flora was completely different from the one he had always been used to. Dongju had never travelled so far from the South Border, so far from home. "How long did I sleep?"

"A day." Youngjo mindlessly informed him and the omega's eyes widened in surprise.

"We reached the border in three days for real?" Dongju asked, staring at the other in disbelief as soon as he realized the alfa had succeeded in his purpose of traveling even during the night, getting no sleep.

"Dongju-ah." Youngjo stopped walking to look straight at the omega. "Look at me, I swear I'm fine." He tightened his grip around the other's body. "I appreciate you're worried about my wellbeing, but I am truly fine. I don't think I'll be able to sleep anyway until I bring that rose to Hwanwoong."

The omega was amazed by the amount of determination he could see in the other's eyes: "Do you love Hwanwoong hyung so much you can just ignore your natural needs like this?" When he received no response from the other, Dongju sighed, gently pushing the alfa away to finally stand on his own feet. "Well, then we should start searching for it from here."

Youngjo remained still for a moment, letting the omega's words sink in his head before he nodded although, as he walked beside Dongju, he couldn't help thinking about it. The omega had spoken as if his feelings for Hwanwoong were as clear as the sky, so why was Youngjo worrying about it so much? Maybe they were. Maybe he had been so blind he hadn't realized how much he really loved Hwanwoong, how much he cared about him despite he had been pushing him away since the day they had met.

"What makes you think that I love him?" He mindlessly asked all of a sudden, when the sun was already falling down and they were still looking everywhere around themselves to find the rose.

Dongju stopped to look at him and he smiled when he noticed how curious the alfa was: "I told you... You're doing all of this to save him, I can feel how tensed you are since you came back from the river. I see the way you look at each other and how your pheromones seem to ignite sparks between the two of you whenever you're close. If you're not in love with each other then I have no idea what love is."

Youngjo's mouth was slightly open in surprise at the realization the omega had just helped him figure out: "D-Do you think Hwanwoong might feel the same towards me?" He asked, unable to believe his own words while he remembered the kiss they had exchanged back at the river.

Dongju's smile widened when he spotted in a bush on top of a stone wall the familiar shape of a wild red rose: "Why don't you ask him as soon as we bring those roses to him?"

Youngjo followed the other's gaze towards the stone wall beside them and he couldn't help smiling too: he would have saved Hwanwoong and he would have confessed his feelings towards him. He loved him. He was in love with the enigma and if there was even a chance Hwanwoong might had felt the same way as Dongju had noticed, Youngjo wanted the other to know about his feelings as soon as possible.