Chapter 12

Anyone know how to change the settings on the rating?  Obviously this story is not R if I am reading stories that are PG-13, and use worth language than me.  I think I'm just to nice to make my characters swear all of the time . . . Anyhow; if anyone knows how to change the rating please let me know . . .

Chapter 12

My honeymoon with Tom had been a blissful whirlwind of non-stop activity.  We spent the days on the beach of the tropical resort that he had booked.  Our nights were spent in bed, though not much sleep was actually achieved.  Our relationship had started to develop beyond my gratitude to him, and beyond the sexual tension that had already started to lace our thoughts, words and actions.

We were getting closer than I ever could have imagined.  And yet, as each day ended, I dreaded the thought of returning to his house.  A horrible monster lived in the mansion, cloaked in the facade of a normal being—but I knew better for he was the same creature that had so horribly attacked me in his friend's limousine.  He portrayed an image of innocence—in a horrid way he appeared almost innocence, as if he was a newly born child—flaunting his superiority over all others.  The way he made me feel just thinking about him, sent chills down my spine.

If only Tom had a kinder father.  Then my life would be truly sublime.

Jay was worse than anything I had ever thought he could be.  I was used to being optimistic, but exposure to Jay's twisted mind could affect anyone.  I must have surely turned into a pessimist if I could disown my father as I was considering doing.  He had cheated on mom afterall, and he expected me not to notice the mounting tension?  Get real dad.

I wonder what Tom would think of me if I decided to go through with my plan.  He would probably hate me for the rest of my life, and I can't bear the thought of him hating me too.  In a few short days he had become my solitude, the rock in my breezy nightmare.

"Amber—" Tom's voice slipped through my mind, breaking me out of my reverie.  "We're almost home honey."  He smiled, gripping my hand tightly in his. Tom's knuckles had started to go white, but he didn't seem to mind all that much.

I tried not to shiver, but the sight of the house brought back the worst memories, and I couldn't overcome the mounting fear.  The shiver worked its way down my back, contorting my muscles.  "It's okay honey," he crooned.  "I'll keep you safe."

And for once, I found myself actually wanting to believe a man again.  Paul's brutality and my dad's deceit; Donny's cruelty and Jay's arrogance, they all combined to make me feel worthless, minuscule.  For the first time since the betrayal, I felt whole again.  If only for a brief moment in time, I felt cherished-loved and worthy-I felt like a million pieces, and there was no way that I would let Jay take that away from me.

I pulled my black coat tighter around me as I stepped out of the car.  The wool was like a cocoon, keeping the wind out, but the heat inside. Slowly, the driver came around the side of the vehicle as my heart beat faster.  I took calming breathes trying to soothe my frazzled nerves, but even they couldn't improve my shattered nerves.  I felt completely desecrated as I looked up at the sprawling mansion and saw a face that I had hoped to never see again.  The face of the devil was staring back at me, a wide grin spread across his face.

"It's okay Amber, I'll keep you safe," Tom swore as he brought his arm around my shoulder and looked up at his father.  If I could have seen Tom's face I'm sure it would have made my blood freeze.  As it was, Tom's look managed to do what mine hadn't when Jay finally turned away from me. 

I had always thought that I would end up with Paul, but after what he did, I'm glad I didn't.  I couldn't have had a better husband then Tom, and I let him know it.  "Thanks Tom, you're the greatest."  I kissed his earlobe as I whispered the words into his ear. 

He smiled back at me, and I knew in that moment that everything would be fine.  Tom would keep me safe.

I knew it.

                                                             * * *