The Arrangement

Cassandra POV.  

   On a day that is supposed to be the happiest day of a woman's life, I watched the thunder and lighting from the third-story window. My wedding day is a complete series of unfortunate events, not just for me but for all of the staff under my mother's thumb.

   I wonder if I could escape this ballgown and run away past the guards to live an everyday life. What even is normal? I honestly wouldn't know how to survive, but at least I imagine normal, not being locked away in my bedroom and forced to marry a vicious woman, a gay woman.

  Oh yes, Kai Braxton, the sole heir to Braxton's empire. This wedding was supposed to be for a husband and wife. Now, it seems that I am to fulfill the duties of my brother because his poor ego was hurt. My mother didn't want her precious prince to be associated with such a woman.

   I have heard all about how Kai manages Braxton's empire. I know of her murderous schemes and people who mysteriously take vacations only to never return. She is the worst type of human being, and I am about to spend the next decade of my life at least being her wife. I mean, I know my family isn't the best, but at least my father has never been a murderer.

  "It's your wedding day. Don't look so glum," my mother snarked as she opened the door.

  I debated ignoring her, but then I would be ridiculed for not caring about my family. As I was about to speak, she began again.

   "You should be happy you can finally contribute something to the family. Your brother has the brains, and well, we all can't be freelancers," she laughed.

  "I am happy," I replied as I grabbed my Manila envelope and zipped it up into my suitcase because not only was I being married off, but I was being kicked out of the house.

   "Well, then put a smile on your face so we can begin this exciting day!"

   My older brother was groomed for this. I was never pressured to be anything, and now I feel like I am part of a scheme. I am just being used as collateral damage to ensure crime wars don't erupt in the city. I have plans after I leave this house, and no one, including this marriage, will get in my way.

I descended the stairs, and my father met me at the bottom with his arm. I could see in his eyes this was not a part of his plan. Something reluctant in his eyes, almost like he wished to apologize for these circumstances. Instead, he shook his head and coughed. I know this was not his idea, but there's this saying known as happy wife, happy life, I guess.

As I walked through the double doors, there was light chatter in the room. I look forward to where Kai should be standing, and instead, I am met with a man in a black suit and blue tie.

I met his slight smile at the altar, and the wedding officiant began to speak as the man took my hand, "We are gathered here to join these two families in matrimony. Please bring forward the documents."

The room was silent as the man in the suit snapped behind him and was given a packet of papers. "My name is Dax. I am the head of security for Braxton Enterprises. Ms. Braxton knows this is not your ideal choice for marriage and sent me in her place to settle the arrangement."

My mind raced a million miles per second as my heart was torn between two emotions, "Let us settle this then" I politely bowed my head and gave him a small curtsey.

He grabbed my hand and bowed back. "These documents are yours to keep the original and revised contracts between your two respected families. However, this document is for you. You mustn't sign it now. You will have one week from today to negotiate or agree to the terms you will play as a Braxton family member; otherwise, your marriage will be considered a breach of contract."

"Then what is the point of my marriage ceremony today?"

"Oh yes, you must sign your marriage certificate today to make it official until the documents are properly processed. Another clause, you must take the Braxton last name. Do you accept these terms, Ms. Claire?" He spoke calmly.

"WAIT! This was not a part of our deal. The Claire name should remain intact to our daughter!" My mother quietly yelled in our direction.

Dax glared at her. "I believe your family is in no room to negotiate names after, plus it is up to Ms. Claire to accept these terms." He turned back to me and offered me a pen to sign, "So what do you say, Ms. Claire?"

I took the pen, "I believe it is Mrs. Braxton to you now," I spoke as I signed my name across the marriage certificate, which already consisted of Kai Braxton's name.

"Correct, Mrs. Braxton."

The music started playing as I was led back down the aisle into a limo by multiple guards. My new life was beginning, and all of this security was nothing as I had ever seen before.

As I entered the limo, I saw a woman wearing a white silk suit and an oversized black hat. I was sitting on the other side of the vehicle.

"Hello, my beloved wife," she said as the door closed behind me.

Anger filled my chest. "Do not call me that. What type of person doesn't show up to their wedding?!" I sternly said as I moved to slap her across the face.

My hand almost made contact until she grabbed my wrist harshly and pulled my wedding dress into her as our lips stopped centimeters away from each other.