sixteen | dangerous waters

☼

chapter sixteen | dangerous waters
episode one

Despite the darkness, Neave felt like she was home.

Though, there was no home in the stretch of the Fold that had grown, engulfing a nearby village. Neave heard the screams; felt the eerie chill of the sea of darkness, but it all came with that familiar feeling of comfort within the shadows.

Squinting her eyes, Neave tried peering through the neverending storm of shadow.

Who — or what — she was looking for, she didn't know. Not when the creator of the Fold was dead, killed by his own monstrous creations.

Dead until...

"Lidia."

All it took was the one name to cause Neave to still, feeling her bones turn to ice. No matter how much she feared the voice, a part of her still longed for the impossible.

The Darkling was dead, Neave reminded herself again.

Yet, as she turned, her eyes fell on his familiar form as if he was still alive and unscathed. He stood close to her with eyes so dark that they blended with the Fold, but those irises hung on Neave as if she was the stars.

If this was a dream or a nightmare, Neave wasn't so sure.

"You have a habit of slipping through my fingers," her father told her.

Neave took a step back from him. "You're not real."

And the Darkling stepped closer. "I called and you answered."

"That doesn't make any sense," Neave said.

"That's not surprising," said the Darkling. "You're untrained, Lidia. If you had stayed with me, then I could have shown you everything."

"I don't want to see everything," Neave argued.

"Oh, but you will," the Darkling promised. "The power calls to you and you can only resist it for so long. One day, you will willingly return to my side."

"I'm never coming back," Nevave told him. "You're dead."

His lips twitched as if amused. "I'll see you soon, malen'kaya zvezda."

Little Star.

Then, with that, a Volcra cried as Neave jumped to turn, ready to protect herself. However, before the creature even appeared, Neave's body was darting upwards as she woke up from her nightmare.

They were still on the ship as Neave panted, flinching at the slight frob that remained in her ribs from the aftermath of the Fold. While they had been travelling, Neave had been healing and was almost back to normal.