twelve | the wrong choice

☼

chapter twelve | the wrong choice
episode seven

Neave shivered from the cold, hating it just as much as the darkness. But she followed the Darkling now, more willing than ever as she had made her decision in a matter of seconds.

For her mother, Neave would help the Sun Summoner.

The handcuffs still stayed in place with there still being a lack of trust between the two, as well as the reality that no one else knew who Neave was. Neave wasn't sure what she felt about the Darkling — a man who she felt sympathy for, yet he had still killed her mother.

What was Neave supposed to do?

The question kept repeating itself as Neave was truly at a loss. She wanted to believe the Darkling so easily with his vision and his story, but how could Neave trust it was the truth? But... what if he was trying to make up for his sins by helping make the change Annette had prayed for?

Then, there was the fact that this man was her father. Neave could see herself in him: her eyes were dark like his and she felt perhaps just as alone as he did. They were both ambitious too but in different ways with Neave wanting to be loved and the Darkling to save the Grisha.

However, Neave knew that there was no remorse from the Darkling for those he had harmed (other than her mother), and Neave knew she could never kill. As much as she wanted someone to love her and a family, Neave couldn't ever forgive the Darkling for taking Annette from the world.

Now, her eyes fell on him, seeing his focused gaze with Alina being close by. There was still something that the Darkling had not told Neave, but she knew that they needed Alina on their side to bring down the Fold, whether Alina was willing to or not.

For Annette.

The Darkling's party were sent after Alina first with Neave sticking to her father, who had told her to stay close by to him. Bullets echoed nearby, followed by voices.

"What's going on?" Neave whispered.

"Nothing you need to worry about," the Darkling said. "Just stay close."

Neave frowned at that but then the Darkling was joining the commotion with the shadows following. The darkness prickled at Neave, begging for her to respond, but she smothered the feeling deep inside her.

Hurrying, Neave struggled to see what was going on in the dark. Firstly, her eyes fell on the white stag, seeing that it was injured. It was mesmerising, stilling Neave as she stared at the creature with wide eyes, where she was in wonder to where it had come from.

Then, Alina was there, rushing towards the creature as a blinding light came that protected them both from the blade the Darkling had created. Neave faced her father, confused as to why he would attack the stag, rather than capture Alina.