fourteen | no mourners

☼

chapter fourteen | no mourners
episode eight

"Enough," the Darkling ordered.

The sharp pain faded but her heart thudded harder, struggling to make up for what blood Neave had lost. She laid there in a daze as the screams of Novokribirsk grew louder with each second.

"What have you done?" Alina exclaimed in horror.

There was a blinding light as Neave turned her face away, closing her eyes.

"No, you don't," the Darkling told her, turning the power off.

"Father," Neave begged from where she laid. "Please — they're innocent."

"They are traitors who tried to kill you," the Darkling told Alina, keeping hold of her. "This is retribution."

So it was revenge. This had never been about taking the Fold down, but instead the Darkling defeating his enemies.

Alina fell back from his hold as she tried to reach for Neave, but the chain around her ankle prevented her from reaching the injured girl. There was nothing neither of them could do to prevent the terror that had been unleashed on Novokribirsk. If Neave stood again, then she would just be knocked down.

"Today, we redraw all the maps," the Darkling declared to his audience. "With the power of the Sun Summoner at my command, I control the Fold. And it's monsters. I can move it to any border I like. Engulf any harbour. Consume any city. Take what you have seen back to your home countries. Tell the Fjerdans. Tell the Shu Han. There will be no more war with Ravka. All countries will answer to us. For who would oppose us now?"

"No!" Neave screamed at him, using the railing of the skiff to stand as she struggled with her heart still weak. There might not be much she could do, but Neave refused to be a coward when countless lives were being slaughtered. "You monster! I won't let you do this!"

However, Neave's moment was stolen as the tracker appeared with a gun firing as he made his way through the guards to reach the Darkling. It was Ivan who stopped him, just like he had with Neave as she recognised the pain that flared in the tracker's eyes. Blood dripped from his nose as his body collapsed. 

"Mal!" Alina panted, dropping to the floor as she desperately tried to reach him.

Neave tried hurrying to him, dodging the Darkling's hands as her fist collided with his face, and then she ducked with her eyes focused on Mal. Her father stumbled back, stunned with his fingers touching the corner of his lip that had started to bleed.

But her heart gave way again as she found herself unable to move for a second time with her lungs caving in too. Everything slowed, coming to a pause as Neave fell close by to Mal. Her hand reached for him, but the pain was rooted deep inside Neave, consuming her until an organ gave in.