eleven | a vision

☼

chapter eleven | a vision
episode six & seven

Inej Ghafa's teeth ground together as she gripped the wall, spying both Kaz and Jesper but not Neave at the bottom. Her heart twisted, hoping that her prayers would be answered. In a couple of short months, Inej had become rather protective of their newest addition, but now she felt sick with worry.

Neave will come.

She will be fine.

But Kaz's stormy expression didn't reassure Inej.

With a grunt, Inej dropped from the wall, alerting the two to her presence as she failed to conceal her arrival. Pain tore through her side as she clutched at the wound, hating to be vulnerable.

Kaz's eyes fell on her in concern. "Inej."

"Hey," said Jesper, reaching to support her from where she slouched against the wall.

Inej limped through the pain, eyes flickering to Kaz. "The Inferni, she's dead," she informed him. "Where's Neave?"

Neither said anything — for once, Inej hated the silence as she knew what it meant.

"Where is she, Kaz?" Inej repeated.

"The Darkling has her," he didn't break away from her stare, witnessing the horror growing inside her irises like a wildfire. "There was nothing I could do, Inej."

"Nothing you could do?" Inej frowned at him in disappointment, hoping that it covered the pain in losing Neave. "You always have a plan, Kaz. You wanted this to happen. Neave... she would take a bullet for you, and you let her go with the man she fears most — someone she's spent her entire life hiding from."

And Inej had broken her promise.

At least they knew that Neave wouldn't be harmed; the Darkling loved her, perhaps in his own dark and twisted way. However, that didn't mean Neave was completely safe. One way or another, Inej had to save her — before Neave took her life like she had said she would.

"Who is also the General," Kaz reminded Inej. "Inej, you expect me to kidnap the Darkling's daughter and return to Ketterdam as if there'd be no consequences. Taking Neave now would be a death sentence."

"I'm pretty sure we've already achieved that," Jesper pointed out.

"What, so we just abandon her?" Inej glared at Kaz, jaw tightening from both the pain and in her anger. "You can't tell me after these last couple of months that you haven't grown fond of having Neave around, Kaz. You're not that cruel."

"It doesn't matter if I like Neave or not, Inej," Kaz argued with her. "What should matter is that we survive. Going after Neave is a promise of death, even if we do succeed. Right now, our best bet would be to flee while we still can."