prologue

☼

prologue
before shadow & bone

Marian Villena had fallen ill quickly.

Neither mother nor daughter knew what was wrong, nor could they afford a healer from the nearby town. Living in the middle of nowhere meant they didn't have much to go on, but Neave had still tried her best as she nursed her mother's fever and spoon-fed her soup, simply praying for a miracle.

No one answered Neave's prayers, of course. Why would they?

It would only be a matter of time until Marian was stolen from Neave, leaving her alone in a cruel world.

"My Little Rose," rasped Marian, clutching weakly onto Neave's hand. "You must listen to me."

"Momma, you must rest," Neave told her, ignoring her mother's hooded eyes as she carried on pressing a wet flannel to Marian's forehead. The fever hadn't broke and beads of sweat clung to her forehead.

"Listen to me," the desperation in her voice caused Neave to pause, dropping the flannel in the bowl on the bedside table as she gave her mother her full attention. Neave's hand gripped onto Marian's pale one, truly hoping that this wasn't going to be the end. "Little Rose, we both know I'm dying."

"No," said Neave. "I won't allow it."

"I am not scared of death," Marian tried to smile, but she ended up coughing. "There are worse things than dying. Can you open my bedside drawer and pass me the small box inside?"

Neave's free hand reached for the draw, pulling it out to reveal an old hairbrush and the small box. She passed it to her mother, knowing inside was the Villena family heirloom that Marian had always worn. Neave's heart felt as if it might explode from simply knowing what was coming.

"Momma no," she whispered.

Marian opened it, unable to meet Neave's stare or see the tears that shone within her soft brown eyes.

"Long ago, I had once dreamed of having a daughter to pass this on like my mother had done to me," Marian recalled, struggling to sit up as Neave rushed to puff the pillows, needing to do something to help. "Little Rose, you are my child. This necklace is yours now; there's no question about it. But... there is more to your story than you know."

Neave had assumed Marian had meant her birth parents, who she imagined were from Shu Han.

"You were born at the Little Palace, Neave," Marian confessed, surprising the young girl as that meant... "Yes, you crossed the Fold at barely a few weeks old. Your mother debated sending you into enemy territory as for a child like you, Little Rose, it's far riskier."

Neave felt her face slacken. "My mother?"

"Annette Ninomae," Marian spoke the name quietly as if fearing someone might hear. "I was paid to take you to Kerch or further if possible. Your mother wanted a better life for you away from the ongoing war."