fifteen | home

☼

chapter fifteen | home
episode eight

Neave hadn't expected to return from wherever she had been to darkness.

The volcra screeched, snarling in anticipation as Neave saw them swirling in the seemingly endless black void above them. But her eyes were on Inej, who now helped Neave sit up, checking to make sure that she was fine.

And she was, other than the tingling pain that was buried deep beneath her chest. Recalling what had happened caused more pain than the actual broken bones, though.

"I..." Neave was speechless, unknowing what else to say. "You came for me."

She kept repeating the words, stuck on a loop in shock. But, her head turned away from the three, falling onto Alina as she felt what little joy evaporate. The Sun Summoner did not move nor did she appear to be breathing.

"No..." whispered Neave, reaching for Alina. "She can't be."

It wasn't long ago that Neave had desired Alina's death — wanted nothing more than revenge for her mother. Now, here she was staring at Alina's body in disbelief. They had both been through so much at the hands of the Darkling, so how could it end like this for Alina now?

"What happened?" Mal questioned, climbing back on board as Neave looked up in surprise.

If Mal was here, then did that mean her father was dead? It didn't seem possible now that Neave knew her father was an immortal figure but had the brief moment with her mother's been nothing more than a delusional dream?

"It's Kirigan's heartrender," said Inej.

Sensing Inej's stress, Neave moved closer, offering her hand as the two sent a silent prayer for Alina. Mal took Alina in his arms, not believing for a moment that she was gone.

"Come on, Alina," cried Mal. "Alina, come back for me, please? Alina?" His hand cupped her cheek, wiping the blood that coated her lip. Neave squeezed onto Inej's hand tightly as the tears trickled down her cheeks. "Please wake up."

The darkness shifted above them with the volcra closing in as Neave's eyes flickered upwards, feeling hopeless. There was nothing she could do, not when her power would only result as a beacon for the volcra. Without the Sun Summoner, they were screwed.

"Please come back," Mal continued. "Please."

A volcra attempted to attack with Inej knocking Neave over before falling backwards herself, where the two dodged the sharp talon claws. As if knowing Neave would be the first target, Kaz moved closer with his cane held high as if to protect her.

"Come on, please," said Mal.

Neave's eyes fell on Alina once more, unable to stop herself from sniffling. But then Alina gasped with her lips forming Mal's name that caused the young boy to break. Neave's hand cupped her mouth, where she then exchanged a relieved look with Inej.