thirteen | Lidia Kirigan

☼

chapter thirteen | lidia kirigan
episode eight

Neave tore at her chains that were rooted deep within the ground, preventing her from breaking free. Her hands were kept apart that stopped her from being able to do anything with the shadows.

She was in a tent that was on some camp for the first army with the Fold stretching before them. Whatever the Darkling's next move was, then it involved the Fold, and Neave now doubted that he would bring it down.

Opposite herself stood a mirror as Neave now stared at herself. Once again, she was dirty with the red dress tattered from her struggle and her hair an unkempt mess. Neave had struggled until Ivan had forced her unconscious, where she had then woken to be shackled once again with them on the road.

Now here she was without a clue as to what came next. It was likely that the three crows had escaped, fleeing back to Ketterdam with Neave as nothing but a bad memory. She now frowned, recalling how Inej had promised that she would never be the Darkling's prisoner, and now here she was.

In this world, Neave, you save yourself.

But how could she, when she was out skilled by her father? Marian had trained her to run and survive but had failed to train her in the one weapon that had mattered: the shadows. Neave could command the shadows, but she could not bend it to her will as her father could.

How would Neave break out and save Alina?

The only way she could think of was through the tracker, but Neave had no clue to where he was being kept nor did she know how to break free herself.

If Kaz was here, what would he do?

Kaz would find a way out and forget about Alina, that was for sure. But not even Dirtyhands could break free of chains. Yet, thinking about the crows caused her mind to spiral into sadness as she had felt lost without them around.

"Think Neave," she hissed at herself, trying to focus.

The entrance to the tent moved, startling Neave as she turned to see a Grisha in red and blue kefta. Confused, Neave's eyebrows stitched together, unknowing to what small science the colours represented.

She was young, perhaps a little older than Neave was. Her hair was a fiery amber, where she had pretty blue doe eyes that appeared friendly — not that Neave could trust that.

"Who are you?" Neave questioned.

"Genya," she introduced herself. "General Kirigan sent me to get you ready."

"Ready?" Neave repeated. "For what?"

Genya didn't say anything, not as she inspected Neave with quizzical eyes. There was a hint of awe too, which told Neave that Genya knew who she was. Then, Neave noticed the black dress that was folded over Genya's arm that caused Neave to shake her head.