Chapter 6: Peek

The next day, the whole family woke up before dawn. They took a quick shower and after finishing, some goes outside to refill the water, and some goes to the kitchen.

A pot of sweet potatoes was boiled on the stove and the tortillas made in advance were steamed. Some pickles and wet radishes were cut and put on the pot. Breakfast was made.

If they slack, the breakfast would just be porridge and the busy farmers will just eat some dry foods such as cakes and steamed buns to satiate the hunger.

After the meal, Feng Qiuyue sent the family to the fields and He Xiaoyun washed their clothes. He Xiaoyun was afraid that Wei Yuanhang would wake up alone so she took him with her to the river.

Children rarely get up so early, he yawned while walking but upon seeing the river, he became energetic.

He Xiaoyun found a shallow spot and asked Wei Yuanhang to squat beside her and play with the sand.

After a while, a woman from the same village came to wash clothes, she greeted her and asked, "Why did you bring the child here so early in the morning?"

"Everyone in the family has gone to the fields. I'm worried about leaving him in the house alone." He Xiaoyun responded with a smile.

"Okay." The woman said, squatting down not far from her spot, and then went to tease the child, "Your Dad is back, is xiaoyuan happy?"

Wei Yuanhang was playing and digging on the sand when he heard his name, he raised his head and answered with 'happy' before continuing his play.

The woman continued to say a few pleasantries while the women arrived one by one, by then, the river became lively.

After washing their clothes, He Xiaoyun carried the tub with one hand and dragged the reluctant child home with the other.

Wei Yuanhang couldn't help but look back at the pit he had dug, "I will come tomorrow with you again, Mom."

"Let's talk about that when you can wake up early, you little slacker." He Xiaoyun teased unceremoniously.

When they arrived at home, Feng Qiuyue had already returned. She had washed the bowls and the chopsticks and was currently picking beans at the yard.

He Xiaoyun aired the clothes and was about to beat a basket of hogweeds, otherwise, the pig will run out of feed.

Fearing that Feng Qiuyue would be alone, she said to the child, "I'm going to get some pig feed. Your aunt is all alone, will you accompany her?"

"But.." The child was reluctant. "I want to go with Mom."

"I want you to go with me too but your aunt has a little baby in her belly. What if bad guys came and we're not at home? Who will protect the little baby?" He Xiaoyun coaxed.

"Then...I protect the little baby?"

"Yes." He Xiaoyun pat his little head.

"Xiaoyuan is going to be an older brother. You must be a great brother who will protect the little baby, ok?"

Wei Yuanhang suddenly felt the weight of responsibility on his shoulders, he nodded his head and said, "I am a good brother!"

After coaxing the child, He Xiaoyun turned to Feng Qiuyue and changed her tune, "If he isn't obedient, don't worry about it and don't make yourself angry. When I come back, you can tell me and I will sort him out."

Feng Qiuyue smiled, "You can go, Xiaoyuan is obedient."

He Xiaoyun went out carrying a big bag and walked along the riverside and the paddy fields where there were lush weeds on the way. The spring plowing had already begun, she stood on the river bank and glanced at it.