Rainwater nodded, "I understand. And how about you Ms. Hope? Would you be willing to run? Or would that be a conflict of interest for you?"

Spencer turned to Thomas quickly, her gaze hardening on the man with such a hostility.

Dan spoke up before Spencer could, however. "Why would that be a conflict of interest?"

Rainwater popped an eyebrow at Spencer, as if to taunt her into spilling her secret. She knew there were two ways this could go. She could let Rainwater share her secret, flushing all the hard work she had done to build a trusting relationship with Dan and Paradise Valley. Or, she could spin this to her advantage, but she had to play it just right. Spencer softened her gaze as she looked back at Dan.

"I believe Mr. Rainwater is discussing my relationship to the Yellowstone Ranch. You see, Mr. Jenkins, I'm in a relationship with the foreman of Yellowstone, something you likely saw Saturday." Spencer paused, doing her best to gather her thoughts into a coherent plan as quickly as possible. "However, the answer Mr. Rainwater likely wants you to hear is that I am John Dutton's youngest daughter."

The entire room went silent in shock as they waited for Spencer to continue. "And yes, that's true. In the eyes of the state of Montana, John Dutton is my father. But I believe Mr. Rainwater's information is out of date. Prior to applying to my job here, my father and I had a falling out, resulting in me leaving the ranch for good. So unless Mr. Rainwater would like to admit to having his men stalk either myself or my father, I believe his point invalid."

Dan turned to Thomas at that point, who appeared to be at a loss for words. He hadn't anticipated a rebuttal, or even the truth from Spencer when he had seen her walk in that morning. "I have never asked any of my men to keep tabs on either of you Ms. Dutton. I don't appreciate the accusation."

"And I don't appreciate you trying to accuse me of conning my employer Mr. Rainwater. We both know how hard it can be when you go against the Dutton name." Spencer turned back to Dan, her next words shocking everyone in the room once again. "I'd be happy to run against my father, or any of my siblings, who may run for Livestock Commissioner."

The meeting adjourned at that point, with Dan assuring Spencer he would reach out to her soon with a game plan. And so Spencer stood to her feet, forcing the shaking in her hands to still until she walked out of the room. She cocked an eyebrow at Rainwater as he paused on shaking her hand, challenging his commitment to his plans. Eventually he folded, his desire to own the valley greater than his concern about sharing plans with the Dutton girl.

Both Sawyer and Spencer were silent as they walked out of the country club, waiting until they returned to their cars to speak.

"Are you out of your fucking mind Spencer?" Sawyer whispered as she lightly shoved the redhead.

Spencer chuckled at the thought. "It's me, so the answer is yes. But think about it, the secret's out and now we have Jenkins and Rainwater in our back pocket. He can't lie to me without tugging on Dan's trust!"

Sawyer weighed the options presented. "Okay that's great, but your family is going to kill you!"
"Pretty sure Jamie has tried at least twice," Spencer shrugged the concern off, "And no one said I had to win, I just have to run. My dad won't care."

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Spencer may have overestimated her father's willingness to run unopposed for Commissioner it turns out.

"The hell do you mean you agreed to run?" John's voice bellowed across the dining room. Beth was doing her best to keep her laughter in check as John continued to yell. Jamie was just happy he wasn't on the receiving end of his father's anger for once. "I told you to keep an eye on what they were doing, not join them!"
Spencer rolled her eyes. "Daddy, we both know the only one getting anywhere with Dan was Beth, and no one really wants to know how she's screwing a married man."

"I'd fuck his wife before I fucked Dan Jenkins," Beth pointed out as she sipped on her whiskey. Spencer threw her hand out over the table, emphasizing that her point was proven.

"Think about it Daddy, I have access to the two men causing us the biggest amount of trouble," Spencer continued, "And no one said I had to win! Besides, I wouldn't win anyway, there's too many men in this town scared to let a woman do anything."

John rubbed his face with his hands, his frustration peeking. "You'd be surprised how many people want me out of the spot."

"So then it stays in the family! If you lose to me, we still have control!"

John glared at his youngest child as she spoke, and she did nothing but return his hard stare. Their staredown lasted for a number of moments, with John eventually breaking eye contact first. Effectively signing off on his daughter's campaign against him. Now came the hard part.

"I need to move off the ranch," Spencer added, knowing that would cause another round of shouts from her father. In fact, it looked like he might blow a blood vessel with how red his face was getting.

"You what?" Beth asked. If she was shocked, Spencer knew she was in for it.

The redhead tilted her head back and forth, rushing her words out, "I may have told them Daddy and I had a falling out before I started working for Dan and that's why Rainwater's concerns were pointless. Sawyer's already agreed I can stay with her at Greenquest, I'll be back for work every morning, I can stay in the bunkhouse or at Rip's if it really comes down to it."

Beth shot Spencer a look after her comment about Rip, her grudge about their relationship growing daily. Both girls knew it would boil over sooner rather than later, but neither was willing to take that step.

John finally spoke up, "You're leaving?"

Spencer was the only child of his that hadn't gone far. Hell she had even stayed in town for college, traveling only to Montana State. She was the only one who had stayed, beside Lee but that was of little value now. Spencer could feel her heart breaking at the expression on her father's face. She knew how much it meant to him that she stayed so close to home.

"Daddy," she started, covering his hand with hers, "I'll be just down the road. And I'll still be here everyday. But me leaving, at least for now, is the only way I can help protect our home. Please, I need to do this."

John nodded, although his mood had drastically decreased. He knew with Spencer gone the ranch wouldn't be the same. Over the years John had come to rely heavily on his youngest child, her brain and work ethic helped keep the ranch floating on a number of occasions. And she would drop anything at his request, the only one of his children to do that.

"Just a little while?" he questioned again.

"I promise Daddy."

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

author's note. Hi! I'm going to be a little busy finishing up some projects for the end of my semester the next two weeks so I'll be updating a little slower than normal!

Sorry in advance:(

Darlingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें