Chapter VII: Night escapes

Matt was sitting on his bed, a small oil lamp was brightening the room as the prince admired himself in a mirror, occasionally passing his hand through his hair to fix them, a bit useless since it was night. Usually he would be asleep now, like it was said it was late night and he always said that he needed his 'beauty sleep'.

The four young men came back after their trip to Tord's house and split up to do their different jobs hours before; but Matt couldn't stop thinking about what he heard in that small house behind the door of what was once his friend's parents' room.

'Maybe I'm just overthinking and the only thing that they're trying to hide is their relationship.. No it can't be like this, he said what HE did, and if they were talking about them begin together it would be both..right?'

Matt had a feeling that they were actually trying to hide something, and he hoped at the same time it wasn't like this, Paul seemed a good person, even Tom trusted him with the house!

Yes because when Paul came downstairs and apologized to the princes, Matt was too occupied thinking about the conversation he heard and almost didn't heard Tom saying that they could've stay in that house.

"Yeah.. it's not like I can live here for now.. at least like this someone will take care of this place and my parents' graves.."

Paul thanked him many times and Tord and Edd were visibly relieved too, but Matt wasn't entirely sure about this, in fact once they were back at the castle, after the long day, he confronted his brother, but that didn't lead anywhere.

"It's just... you don't know this people Tom. What if they want to do something bad?" Tom looked pretty annoyed.. or pretty tired, the day after their trip was busy. "Matt even if they've wanted to do something bad they had 10 years to do it. Plus isn't it just like you did with Edd? Don't get me wrong, he's a great and funny person, but you let him here, around you and in your rooms without even properly knew him."

Well Tom got him there, Matt didn't took a really intelligent decision when he let Edd near him, or if we want to be for real, more like 'forced' the brunette near him, not that Edd wasn't happy, it took just 2 days to get used to his prince's personality and Edd sure wasn't a bad person. Still, the heir thought that his brother's decision wasn't a good idea.

But going back to the present, Matt, just at the thought of Edd, while in his mind the conversation he had with his brother was flying away, felt the urge to go see how his friend was doing... again. Even if it was late night.

So he did, he put on some shoes and headed out of his room with the lamp that he was using in his hand, he had a whole plan in mind to understand if his suspects were right.

The corridors during the night were completely silent and the presence of the prince passed unnerved. He quietly walked for about 5 minutes before arriving at the door of what was now Edd's room.

Matt knocked first but the only respond he had was some kind of snoring mixed at the sound of a blanket begin moved, so the prince opened the door slowly revealing the room where he used to play that now was furnished to be Edd's room. In fact Matt's eyes were attracted immediately by two figures that laid on the bed, one was small and curled up in a ball and the other one, which was Edd, had rolled over to face the wall opposite to the door, probably the boy was disturbed by the light of the lamp or the sudden sound.

Matt walked towards the bed and then leaned down getting closer to Edd's face. Under the light of the lamp Matt admired Edd's sleeping face, he looked so peaceful... Until he got closer with the lamp disturbing Edd's sleep, who's eyes opened wide.

Edd, not seeing who actually was holding the lamp, opened his mouth to scream, but the prince covered his mouth just before he would wake up that area of the castle.