14

Trixie does not see Austin for the rest of the year and by the time December rolls around she finds she is having withdrawals from him

Trixie does not see Austin for the rest of the year and by the time December rolls around she finds she is having withdrawals from him. She is slipping into a depressive state and her once happy content life feels like a fleeting moment. She lectures herself - Austin is a client and nothing more. But, she knows that's not true. Not even Marshal and his hijinks can get her to feel better. She is showered with gifts because of the festive season and she decides to take a three-week break - a Christmas gift to herself. But, after the first week, she regrets it a bit as she is all alone and it's amplified by the happy families and couples she sees walking around. An old friend from England that she has always kept in touch with emails her private email to say that he has moved to LA to start his career as a music manager and wants to meet for coffee and old times sake. She adores him, he's kind and funny and has the biggest heart out of everyone she knows so she meets with him and soon finds herself laughing at his happy demeanor - he is solid in who he is and she knows he will be one of the lucky few who will never let Hollywood change him. Harry phones her too and her heart drops when she sees his name flash on the phone she has for him. She guesses his business had not worked out the way he had hoped this past year.

"Hello, Harry."

"Hey, Cherry!"

"You sound happy."

"I am. I am phoning just to wish you a Merry Christmas. No visit."

"That's great, you had me worried there for a second. I trust your business worked out?"

"Yes and no. My business is hard-headed and stubborn but I am working on it and it's in a good place. I have high hopes."

"Do you want to cancel your contract?"

"No...not just yet. I like knowing you are just a phone call away."

They speak for a bit longer then Harry rings off. She really hopes it works out for him. She likes him. Her house feels too big and she spends another week moping around. She feels like she is losing her mind somewhat and in a moment of weakness she looks up Austin's socials on her phone. She regrets it immediately. She never follows her client's socials. She only researches them before she takes them, after that, she avoids their real lives as much as she can and she should have stuck to that rule when it comes to Austin. But they never seem to be able to play by the rules. Austin is not Austin. He has let the industry take him and turn him inside out. She hardly recognizes him. He still has his shaved head, adorns himself with gold and diamonds, and has a darkness about him. It scares her.

He is either smoking, drinking, or partying in all the pictures she sees of him - lost in that vacuum of fame and fake promises of a life worth living. The people who surround him look like they all have an agenda and Austin is their key to success. They're bleeding him dry. Photo after photo she can see he hates himself and who he now is, he hides his eyes and often looks away. She knows why. He knows that she can see him in there even when she can't and so he hides his shame in case she ever looked. Well, she has looked and even though she feels a deep pain for what he has done to himself - it's anger that bubbles up in her chest. How could he betray himself like this? That sweet, kind man now trapped in a dark place. She does not care for her rules when she grabs his phone and calls him. She has never phoned a client, but she can't stand behind her curtain of fantasy anymore.