6 (2018)

2018

2018

Whitney stares at the urn on her coffee table. It's depressing to think that after all a person does in life their final resting place is just a bottle with a fancy name. Her grandfather had wanted to be cremated and his ashes scattered on some battlefield up in Utah, but she can't bring herself to do it. It snows up there and she is worried he will get cold in winter. They did not have a funeral as he was a loner like her so no one would have attended although she did send word to one of his army buddies back in England of his passing. She has been cooped up for a week now in her big house, she can't bring herself to do anything but stare at his jar and drink. Her phone buzzes and she picks it up.

Hi Trixie.
You available for
a visit?
Austin

Not today.

Ok. Let me know
when you are
available.

Ok.

Are you alright?

She puts her phone down and feels a fresh batch of tears threatened, but she can't cry and she hates herself a little for it - her grandfather deserves better from her. She has done all this for him, to give him the best care but now that he is gone she would give it all back for one last hug from him. She is not ok to work right now and has not been so for weeks. She has deferred all her clients. She will make it up to them when she gets over her shit. She feels her phone vibrate again, she knows it's Austin without even looking at her phone. He had surprised her. He has been on tour and then took a holiday with his girlfriend and family for a good six months now and she had not expected to hear from him till he was back in LA but he phoned her every Sunday, just a short call to check up on her. He is sweet and things are going well with his career and in his relationship, so that's good and she is happy for him. However, today she does not want to talk to him. She has been drinking as one does when you lose the only person who ever really meant anything. She feels a little lost and small without her grandfather in this world. She ignores Austin's call and pours another drink. But, an hour later he is still calling - the man is relentless. Eventually, she gives up and takes a deep breath as she holds her phone to her ear.

"Why are you calling?"

"Trixie! Shit! Are you ok?"

"I am fine. I am just busy."

"You don't sound fine. You been drinking? You ok? What happened?"

"My circumstances have changed and I needed a drink."

"Oh..." he says softly, she can hear the worry in his voice. "I am sorry...I've been looking for someone to put up with all my bullshit, but that's the last thing it sounds like you need right now."