Chapter 23

"Will Azul's potions really let us breathe underwater?" Deuce asked with uncertainty. Eyeing the potions that Yuu had fished out of their pocket. "It looks kind of ominous."

"There is only one way to find out." Ace shrugged, his eyes narrowed in determination yet his breath was shaky. He was clearly reluctant to drink it as well. "Okay, on three... One, two, three!"

The trio drank at the same time, finishing it in one go. Yuu, however, took their time, and their right eye twitched at the unexpected taste while their face remained expressionless.

"Whew... That was..." Deuce trailed off, his face turning green when the aftertaste of the potion hit him.

"NASTY!" Grim finished it for him. He gagged, inching away from the bottle that made his taste buds deteriorate. "It tastes like someone mixed together dried frog and rotten mushrooms!"

Yuu is not going to comment on how Grim knew what that tasted like; however, their throat felt itchy from the liquid and they couldn't resist coughing, and their face was exceptionally green due to their pale skin.

'It's good that I didn't eat today,' Yuu said inwardly, stiffling the urge to vomit.

Ace poked out his tongue in disgust while making gagging noises. He stared at the potion bottle with contempt and asked, "What genius decided that potions have to taste like crud, anyway? Someone ought to fix that. *Burp*"

"Shouldn't we be more worried about efficacy than flavor? Wait a minute." Deuce's frowned, feeling a bit different than usual. His face slowly turning blue and his eyes widened with realisation. "It's getting harder to breathe."

"Gah... *gasp* Aw geez, this is gettin' bad. Let's get in the water, quick!" Ace shouted as he felt the effect slowly begin to affect him.

"Wait–"

"Mirror of Darkness! Guide us to the Coral Sea!" Deuce said out loud.

Yuu was still not ready, the affect haven't set in.

Their eyes instantly burned to which they immediately closed tightly to prevent the water from getting into their eyes. The sensation of coldness and dampness immediately engulfed them. Yuu could hear warped noises of someone talking and the sounds of drifting in the body of water, the bubbles as well as erratic movements.

They have to hold their breath until they are sure that the effect has already kicked in, and only then will they breathe.

(Except Yuu wanted to breathe and let the water fill their lungs. Let it collapse, let them struggle to breathe as nails dug deep in their throat. The salt burning the newly formed cuts

Just a moment, they wanted to feel it. They wanted to–)

–Y̷̳̽̿̀͋̏̒́͌̃̕͠͝ú̴̢̱̪̝̮͎̻͔͔̈̌̈́ú̴̡̨̨̧͇̣̻̥͕̏͋́̊̌̓͆̓̑̊́̉̕ ̸͔̇̅̊͛̕͠͝w̸͇̤͖͗̂̕ͅa̷͓͉͍̳͚̾͛̀̎̾̆͛̄͌̀̊̏̒́n̷̨̛̹͇̠̥̯̘̋́̀̽̃̽̃̅̽́͐̽̓̚t̶̨̛̜͙͎͓͈̦͇͙̤̄̏̽̇̑͒̍̈́̄ͅe̷̡̲͙̲̻̥̥͚͙͈̍̄̊̃͗͑̐̒̋̏̒̚͜͠͠ͅḑ̴̺̓̓͘ ̸̨̭̻̄̈́͌̃̎̊̈́̀̒̂̈̋̑̀̕͝͝t̵͍̝̝̠͕̖͙̱̅͂̑͒͒͘͜͝ͅǫ̷̙͓̦͔̮̗̼̩̺̱͔̖̈́̃͆̚ͅ ̷̛̣̺͚͖̝͎̱͇̰̺̖͇̫̋̓͜d̴̠͕̫͍̝̹͔̤̄̀̂̽̑̓͂̃̋̐̈́͑͊̎ͅi̵̹̿̈́̍̓̇̀͒̐͋̐̃͝ê̸̡̳̭͎̯̤̹̺̋̈́̚.)

They inhaled, Their eyes shaky with anticipation with the end's result. They felt the strange sensations of the pressure of the water traveling up their nose and then to their lungs.

And they were fine.

Disappointment radiated from their eyes alone.

'It looks like I couldn't die today. Another day then.'