Chapter 18

It was night, 15 minutes before the time for the meeting. Jack went through the mirror and almost jumped from being too shocked. He quickly calmed down his beating heart when he realised that it's just Yuu sitting and leaning on the wall of the hall of mirror.

For a moment there, Jack had thought that there was a ghost playing a prank and he happened to be it's victim. It couldn't be help since Yuu's pale complexion could passed as one and they just happened to be asleep.

If ghosts didn't exist, Jack first thought would be a dead body.

Jack sighed and his shoulders slumped in relief. He looked over Yuu's sleeping figure and pondered if Yuu had been waiting here for a long time if they had fallen asleep. His mind take back to when Yuu denied solving the headmaster's problem. Their eyes undeniably looked tired and lethargic concealed by slight apathy.

Jack felt guilty for forcing Yuu to go through what the headmaster had dubbed his own problem as punishment even though Yuu clearly didn't want to.

But Jack did it not only for himself but for them too. Yuu was magicless and as seen before, were pushed around by the headmaster and the trio. Therefore in his eyes, Yuu was weak.

But that does not mean he was looking down on them, it just meant that Yuu needed protection and by protection, it meant by helping them gaining reputation to survive in this school.

So helping Yuu in shutting down Azul's business was in a way, necessary to elevate the students impressions on the magicless student as capable and strong even though Yuu wasn't aware of his intention.

But still, the guilt nagged him.

Jack unconsiously pursed his lips while thinking deeply before coming to the decision that he will send Yuu back to the Ramshackle dorm and talk with Azul alone.

Jack made his way to Yuu slowly, he hesitated for a moment when the scent of blood wafted through the air. Tempting yet repulsive at the same time.

Jack feared that it will be stuck onto him. There was a reason why he didn't handled Yuu by putting them over his shoulder like a sack and preferably pick them up like a cat. It was actually to avoid the scent from sticking unto his clothes.

As a wolf, a predator, blood attracted them. The thought of eating a person made him loathe it, not as a righteous person but also as a beastman. Now, he didn't know if his ancestors have ever eaten one but Yuu suddenly looked like a meal displayed infront of him, defenseless and reek of tempting smell, beckoning him to feast on them.

He was well aware he was salivating so he gulped and quickly wiped off the drool. His heart dropped at the terrifying fact. He felt horrible and ashamed for thinking Yuu as a prey so he quelled the wolf's instinct.

Fearing the worst, he decided to wake Yuu up so they can go back to the Ramshackle dorm by themself but their eyes snapped opened first, which settled into a sluggish glare in attempt to focus their vision.

Jack was stunned once more, unexpected to see them wake up.

"Oh, uh, sorry for waking you up."  Jack stammered, suddenly felt awkward under their gaze, "you looked tired, you could head back if you want. I'll deal with him."

"...No." Yuu slurred a little bit, rubbing one of their eyes slowly. "I already told them I'll try to help them."

Jack's eyebrows knitted together, his earlier predicament forgotten and his instinct subsided. He frowned with worry at Yuu's persistency in trying to help them despite being weary and looked like they shouldn't be anywhere but in bed.

Their whole behavior was just so strange it just rubbed Jack in the wrong way.

"Are you sure? You don't look fine at all. We could do this another day."