THIRTEEN - Remedy

/ Angel's POV /

'Noel will be under The Doctor's care from today and so on. Doc's opted for it.' Malik decides to drop a bomb on me. News that sounds this cliche, I have barely heard.

'No.' I am quick to deny it, gritting my teeth. 'Dad's not taking the kid. It's illogical.'

It's not something Dad couldn't handle. He's raised a whole group of kids for years and years but it's not his decision or accountability in the first place.

'Doc' is not taking the kid, you are. Given your fuck up, Noel is your responsibility now.'

I might mishear that last line. I was careful and made sure none recognized me, there is no way they found their target through me. It's been a long time coming, the Tackler's death.

'How does that-?' My teeth cling and I bite my tongue in the rush to protest.

'Why is he here, Angel?! You know you're the reason. Besides, I think you need this. It's a new goal.' Give up on disassembling MEA, it's useless.

'Own up to your recklessness.' He points at me. You're getting more innocent people killed.

I feel my mouth stretch, the warm air going down my pipes. My eyes wet, my body hot, I don't know if I should be petty or nod. 'Hah.' I manage. 'Stupid.'

No. The kid's staying put, he's been under my wing enough.

'You're misunderstanding me. It's not necessarily permanent. It depends.' Malik reaches for my hand. I pull it away, wantin' to hold onto this revolted state. I do not get the right often.

My feet shiver. 'I got that. I know how we work.'

'I know you do. You do, better than anyone.' He reassures me, smiling ironically.

My whole spine is sore. Don't wanna see the kid's judging stare so I don't check to see. This conversation is embarrassing enough already. 'I'll be back,' I say, leaving them be.

The halls are a new model. I pass them, thinking how they need to do it over again. This looks too formal, cold and uninteresting, just like MEA's satellites.

I pull off my hood, welcoming the cover.

'Haha! Made it in one piece?' Martha waits at the last door, led to the room I'm summoned to. She flicks her tail, smirking at me with half-closed eyes. 'Did you adopt?'

I scoff, almost going for a gag. 'Are you for real?'

She giggles. 'The kid's so cute. What's their name?' She must've spotted him through the window or one of the cameras.

'His name's Noel.'

'How's he like?'

'What is it to you?'

'I'm just asking.' Martha shrugs me off. 'Do you think he'll like me?'

'Only naive peeps like you. I can't figure out why, tho'.'

'Wow.' She scratches her ears. 'Sensitive much? I'm just curious about Noel, little shut-in.'

'It's not important. You'll likely never meet him, hothead.'

'You'll likely combust when Morgana assigns him to you.' She shifts her balance from one hip to another. 'He'll become family, it's normal to wonder about him, Angel. You've already gotten an advantage at our new race for favorite sibling.'

'Stop spewing nonsense. He'll never be anything other than a random kid I've happened to save. End of discussion.' I turn to the door.

'Bro, what's gotten into you lately?' I hear before the door slides closed.