FIVE - A Place Of Sustainability

/ Angel's POV /

I blaze through the skies, the blinding lights of this cursed district reaching this high.

Cold air hits my face, my legs and scrotum, the wind blasting my ears. All this makes it more noticeable, the warmth I'm carrying. The kid is in my cold arms, warming my chest, all the cover it has being a tank top. He is unsettlingly still.

I mean...can't blame him for being shocked.

'Argh...' - fuck.

I slide into the underground stations of this place. These stations abandoned; they are serving as the perfect storage. This is where I left my pod ship. It is rather small and round but it's like a getaway apartment. Can't complain. My wings itch as I suddenly turn into standing position, landing right at the entrance of the ship. I step in, letting the kid down on his feet.

The doors lock behind us.

Out the corner of my eye I see him steady himself against the side wall. His back against it, he slides down, eyes still wide.

I stretch my head together with my wings, continuing down the hall into the panel room. I fly us out away from this District, fleeing from said station at full speed. In no time, we're past the star.

The screen already suggests to contact Dad. I press Dial then wait, shifting my weight against my hands, palms against the panel. A groan together with a burp leaves me. Had that pressing against my ribs for a while now. My stomach feels lighter.

My wings flutter, still twitching. I try stretching them slowly, repeating until Dad picks up.

'Finally,' I exhale.

'Did something happen?' He can tell. 'You're calling rather early.' I can practically hear him falling to the side, checking the watch.

'Well -' I huff. 'All's gone to shit. M'sorry, but some trackers found his home and – you might guess – your friend seemed tough.'

Breathing. 'Ah,' Dad starts, rather mechanical. 'What about his -'

'The boy's under my watch for now.'

'He is with you?'

'Yes.'

'Does he know?' Sympathy came through.

'Of course he does. We saw the corpse.'

'Dear -' Dad falters. 'Is he – stable? Does he need anything? You should leave him food and let him take a hot shower.'

'Dad, I think that's the least he worries for.'

'I'm aware. He needs care and comfort right now. He will be even more miserable if he sits in his own stink or on an empty stomach.' Dad's tone becomes suddenly harsh.

'I'll try to talk to the kid. More importantly... when I get back, we need to have a meeting. I know the others don't agree with targeting the troops stations because it's – unsafe. Still, I will pursue to put a hold, if anything, to this worldwide wipe and lock down. I'm sick of it.' I complain.

Dad scolds me. 'We'll discuss it organically! Now check on that boy, he must be – poor thing.'

'Now, now. See you.'

Call ends.

Sigh.

I make my way back into the hall. The kid's still there, barely moving a limb. I approach him and crouch to his level. 'Hey.'

He blinks at me.

'I have a room for you.' I point in the direction. 'You can shower and rest there. Also, you can leave your clever backpack anywhere inside...'