Part 4; Desiring Each Other

~Y/N's Pov~

We just arrived at the tower after the quiet flight back. Everyone's tired, injured, or even way too stunned to walk. Mostly, everyone's quiet, thinking of a friend we lost during the fight, Pietro. He didn't have to die, but he sacrificed himself to save Clint and a young boy's life. Wanda hasn't spoken once, she's left grieving her brother. Luckily, Sokovia and all the civilians are safe, some are only left with tiny bruises. I believe Fury said they (The Agents) will take care of the people until their houses are built which they're working on right now. Before we know it, the entire town will be newly built.

The Avengers went straight down to their rooms, probably going to calm down and rest, maybe clean themselves up and take a bath. Unlike them, I went to the kitchen, knowing of a med kit box where I can clean myself. I got the box from below the cabinet and crouch back up.

I thought I was alone when I saw Nat leaning against the opposite side of the counter. The room filled with silence, staring at each other sadly, us both still feeling sorrow for Wanda. Her eyes avert away from mine to the box in my hands.

Her chin rises, "Need help?" She asks. I'm pretty sure she's more beaten up than me, but I'm not in the mood to fight. "Sure," I reply, placing the box on the counter.

I push myself up on the counter, quietly groaning at the pressure that spikes up my injured hand. I swing my legs back and forth, my head leaning down as I wait for Nat to get out the stuff. I lift my head once her feet come into my view and meet her eyes. She steps between my legs which caught me off guard. Yet, I spread them open to make a bigger space for her to stand. With one more glare, she gives me, she pats my hairline with a cotton ball with some type of substance on it causing it to burn. Fuck, that's definitely not getting infected. I grip the counter beneath me, staring at Nat's focused face to remove my mind from the burning sensation. Somehow, it worked. I relax my body, the burn fading away as I keep staring at her. Her eyes shoot to mine once she pulls back with the now bloody cotton ball mess in her hands. I bite down hard on my back teeth, now realizing how close she is before she went to go throw the cotton ball away. I let go of a shaky breath until she returns with a second clean cotton ball.

The second time she steps in between my legs, I start getting nervous, knowing she can see me closer than ever right now. Even though she's concentrating on the bruises on my right cheek, I know she sees me out of the corner of her eye. The thought alone makes heat spread across my face and I drop my eyes down to the floor. A bit embarrassed and awkward that she was cleaning me right now, I had to speak before she catches me blushing at the fact of this entire situation.

I clear my throat gently, "So, what happens now?" Her eyes lock with mine and she starts frowning, asking what I mean by that. "I mean, what's going to happen to the Avengers?" I ask getting flustered at the eye contact, so I look back down to the floor. "There are no more wars to fight, so what now?" I add.
Out of the corner of my eye, I see her tilt her head and continue to pat the cotton ball along my cheek line.

"It's simple" She starts. I stare at her. "Nothing changes much, we stay here together and carry on with our own lives. When Fury needs us, we get straight on the job again" She ends, looking back at me.

Her green eyes pierced through mine, her hands pulling away once again. I snap back into reality once I see her moving closer to me, leaning forward. Not knowing what was running through my mind, I thought about one thing. Is she about to kiss me? My body stiffens and all of the sudden my heart begins pounding. Wait, we're both straight. Right!? How do I tell her that I'm straight!? Oh shit, oh shit! What should I do!? Gripping the counter again, I nervously look all over her face except her eyes.

Furrowing my eyebrows at the sight of her arm going behind me. She pulled back and grabbed the med kit box. She was only trying to reach out for the box behind me, I'm such an idiot. I let go of a breathy sigh. I'm way too tired, my brain isn't "braining" correctly and I thought she was about to kiss me. I didn't know what I was expecting, but definitely not a kiss or for her to reach out behind me to grab the box. I kind of just froze.

Why would I think she wanted to kiss me? We're both straight women...right?

"Earth to Y/N"

I hum, now realizing she's calling my name.

"You're all done" she exclaims, stepping away from me to throw the cotton ball away. I hop off the counter, "Thanks Nat" I thanked, eyes softening as I see her bruises, "Do you need help?" I offer. She raises her eyebrow, confused, but then shakes her head, "Don't worry, I think I'm just going to shower" She replies.

We bid our goodbyes once we split ways downstairs, going to our separate rooms. I collapse on top of my bed, spreading myself out like a starfish. I stare at the ceiling.
Why would I think she'll ever want to kiss me? Such an idiot. I groan, squeezing my eyes shut and draping my arm over my face. Stupid Y/N! Stupid! I'm at the stage where I'm questioning why I wanted it to happen, for her to kiss me. I'm straight and it's normal to think Nat's pretty but prettier than pretty. She's attractive. The fact that I wanted her to kiss me makes me think it's not normal though, though just imagining her lips against mine. The way she stared at me, the way she took care of me by cleaning my bruises.
What did I wish for her to do rather than reach out for the med kit box behind me?

Rolling off my bed, I collapse on my feet.
I just need sleep. But first, a shower.

Word count: 1075