Chapter 18: Familiar Faces

Start from the beginning

Clink.

The guards' armor rattled as they crossed their spears, staring at the adventurers with a stern glare. Clean-shaven, physically fit, professional, they were the polar opposites of Tim and Chuck. "Halt," the first one growled. "State your intentions."

"W-we're travellers," Salem lied. Her hood was pulled up, hiding her face. She was grateful they hadn't bathed in the week and a half it took to reach Faralda by foot. The dirt hid a lot of their distinguishable features. The guardsmen looked at each other before stepping off to the side, allowing them entry.

The streets of Faralda were almost empty. Not many people would be outside in the rain, after all. A patrol marched past, the adventurers taking note of the vast difference compared to eight years prior. Eight years ago, the guards of Faralda had been a mischievous, typically lazy bunch. These men marched in perfect unison, their stern faces unmoving and their backs straight. They didn't speak so much as a word when they passed. They didn't even look at the adventurers.

"W-woah," Yin breathed. Salem's lips tightened.

"... I didn't hear much of it, but I heard a rumor about Faralda," she murmured. "The entire guard was punished for allowing Vao to leave... It was either be trained like the Royal Capital knights, or face imprisonment..."

"B-but Verde was still an adventurer before they left the city," Ozpin pointed out. "She tore her card outside the walls."

"Doesn't matter," Salem whispered quietly. "She was an illegal witch when Vao met her. The only thing that protected him was his adventurer card. When he ripped it, he became a criminal who sided with a witch."

Their boots stuck in the muddy streets, until finally Yin's childhood home came into view. Next door was Raven's house, and through the curtains he could make out the silhouettes of people. When he counted, he realized his parents must have been inside.

"... Perfect, actually... I can see Mom and Dad, and talk to Raven," he mumbled. "... There's an extra, though..."

Ozpin was silent, a bad feeling creeping over his back like a shadow of ill intent.

Knock, knock, knock.

The moment Yin struck the door, they could hear a crash from inside, followed by Qrow's frantic voice.

"J-just a second!"

From the curtains, Salem could see three of the silhouettes duck towards the floor. A second later, Yang opened the door. "Did you need... Something..."

Her face fell, anger flaring into her eyes. "You..."

Yin gulped, looking down the empty streets and lowering his voice. "Y-Yang, I know you're probably still mad at me, but let me inside. I just want to ask a few questi-"

"Take a long walk off a cliff, asshole."

Yang tried to slam the door in his face, but a hand shot out from behind and pulled it back open. The blonde ducked out of the way as Raven stared down at them from the top of the steps, a hideous glare filled with hatred flooding her eyes. "... Can I help you?"

"A-Aunt Raven, please let us in," Yin begged. "We need to talk. Urgently."

Raven stared for a few moments before stepping to the side, jerking her head towards the house. As they passed by, she recoiled at the stench.

"Eugh! The fuck were you playing in, a sewer!?"

"... Y... Yeah," Salem muttered. Raven scowled.