Chapter 18: Familiar Faces

Start from the beginning

They watched as the Knight Commander threw the blankets from the bed, narrowing his eyes at the feathers strewn across the mattress. Raven hadn't wanted Pip to sleep on the floor, and had allowed him to use Vao's bed. Not like the thief was coming home anyways. She was beginning to think it was a bad idea. Glenroy shot Qrow a dirty look.

"... You make me sick, you disgusting pervert."

"That's... That's what my dad said before he left my mom..."

Glenroy's glare fell. "Mr. Branwen... Are you okay?"

"No..."

The Knight Commander just shook his head, returning to his investigation. "There's so many... It's like you have a harpy living here," he muttered thoughtfully. Their hearts froze in their chests. Glenroy had hit the nail on the head. They shouldn't have expected any less; before he was Knight Commander, before he was a soldier, he had been an adventurer in his teenage years. Goenroy picked up the feathers in his hand, looking at them curiously. "... These are from the same bird..."

He stared for a moment longer before casting them to the side. With a hefty sigh, he rubbed his temples and turned to his men. "... This smell is giving me a headache. The house is clear; no sign of Vao Branwen or Yin Rose. We're returning to the Capital."

"Y... Yin...?" Yang echoed. Glenroy nodded.

"Yes, Yin. Slinking little rodent freed a prisoner and fled with the princess. He's not going to be arrested, but His Holiness wants him back. He's going to pay for his crime, but he won't be killed. As for the princess and the prisoner... Traitors who will spend the rest of their days in chains," he growled.

What Glenroy wasn't telling them was that Yin would be tortured like Ozpin if he was caught. Only this time, the deacon would he given the Blood, and become loyal like Ruby.  Glenroy pushed past them, storming out of the house with his knights following. Raven watched through the window as they climbed on top of their horses, beginning their return journey to the Capital.

"... Summer, Tai... You can come out now," she called softly. Yang and Qrow pushed the sofa aside when the homemade trapdoor swung open, the couple still holding onto Pip.

Worry had started to eat away at Raven. It was only a matter of time before Glenroy or one of the other knights caught on. Glenroy was by no means stupid. There was a reason he had become the Knight Commander at such a young age of twenty-five. He already came dangerously close to discovering Pip's existence. With a groan, she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Good grief... So much shit going on," she growled. Yang looked at Raven worriedly.

"Th... That piece about Yin... I-is he coming back? Is he going to..." She trailed off, looking at her nephew worriedly. Raven shook her head.

"He can fucking try," she hissed. "He touches Pip, and his head rolls across the floor."

"B-but wait! He's our son!" Summer protested. Raven just snickered.

"He'll be your dead son by the time I'm done," she muttered.

...

Their boots squelched through the mud, the air still damp from the rain. The tall walls were in sight, the trio staring at the gates from the bushes. Two guards stood watched, and one patrolling the walls. With Tim and Chuck gone, it looked like new guards were posted. They weren't anyone Yin recognized - they must have come to Faralda after he left.

Through the mud they approached the gates, their hearts racing. They were still uncertain if they were considered outlaws. If they were, they'd be arrested the moment anyone learned about their identity.