Dead Girls Tell No Tales (1)

Start from the beginning

   "Because you always talk about other places and cultures," Kokichi answered for Himiko. "We thought you'd know all about historical sites."

   "Hm, it is true that I study other cultures from around the world," Kiyo said. "But overall, anthropology is the study of humanity, not necessarily history. Although a bit of history may be involved, it is mainly the study of human behavior, as well as different customs, language, societies, folklore, et cetera."

   "Oh..." Himiko replied sadly. "So, in other words, you can't help me?" Kiyo stroked his chin in thought. 

   "Well, I suppose since I study humans around the world, both past and present, I'm sure I have a book around here that might also have some historical sites in them," he said. He stood up from his bed, and walked to a tall, narrow bookshelf to search for a book that might be of use to Himiko.

   "Hey, this book sounds cool!" Kokichi said, pointing to a thick book titled, "Creatures and Places of Folklore." 

   "Ah, yes, it is a very interesting book, indeed," Kiyo agreed, pulling the book from the shelf. "But I do not think it will help Himiko find a topic." 

   "You never know," Kokichi said. "Something in here might give her an idea!"

   "Well, I suppose it is true that inspiration can be found in the most...unusual places," Kiyo said, smiling as he handed the book to Himiko. "Feel free to look through it as you please, Himiko." Himiko smiled back and took the book from Kiyo. She flipped through the pages, marveling at some of the pictures.

   "Ooo, Stonehenge!" she said. "I always thought that place was cool!"

   "Yes, many people are still trying to figure out the purpose of Stonehenge, and who built it," Kiyo replied. "Some speculate that it was used as a place of worship, while others say that it was a way to help keep track of the days of the year, specifically the winter and summer solstices."

   "Whoa, that's weird!" Kokichi said. "Why create a stone monument to do all that?"

   "It is an interesting thought, indeed," Kiyo replied. "But that is why anthropology is exciting. It intrigues me immensely to explore the depths of the human thought process, even from ancient peoples such as the ones who built Stonehenge. But alas, we may never know the true reason behind Stonehenge's construction, or who the minds behind it were, so unfortunately, it will always remain a mystery."

   "Ooo! These look cool!" Kokichi said, pointing to a bunch of stone formations carved into faces. 

   "Ah, yes, those are 'moai,'" Kiyo said. "Better known as the Easter Island heads."

   "Hahahaha!! They look like you, HimiCocoa Bean!" Kokichi teased, nuzzling his nose against Himiko's. 

   "Nyeh...cut it out," Himiko pouted as a blush formed across her cheeks.

   "Kehehe...I suppose I can see the resemblance," Kiyo teased playfully. 

  "Haha, see? Kiyo thinks so, too!" Kokichi said, laughing.

   "Very funny, you guys," Himiko grumbled. Then, she flipped a page, and noticed a map of Japan with a triangle that formed from the southwest tip, to one of the islands in the south, and up to South Korea. "Hey, Kiyo? What is this?"

   "Ah, that is a phenomenon that not many people know about," Kiyo replied. "It is called, 'The Nagasaki Triangle.' The triangle starts in Nagasaki, extends south to the island of Okinawa, then north to South Korea. It is similar to the Bermuda Triangle off the coast of the United States."

  "So, what, do ships and planes keep disappearing in it, or something?" Kokichi asked.

  "It is possible, yes," Kiyo replied. "Some say that it leads to a parallel universe, or a different dimension, or some such. I have heard very few tales about the Nagasaki Triangle. I have heard some people say that due to the atomic bomb from the Second World War, the water has been contaminated from the nuclear fallout, thus immediately disintegrating whoever enters it. I have also heard that a giant sea creature lives in those waters, and is the reason for all the missing fisherman who have ventured out into the sea off of Nagasaki's coast. But one thing I've always heard from anyone who tells me about the Nagasaki Triangle is that a thick, mysterious fog emerges as you head farther out to sea."

  "Whoa..." Kokichi and Himiko breathed in unison.

  "Of course...it is an old fisherman's tale," Kiyo said. "As interesting as the story is, I cannot say that I believe in the Nagasaki Triangle. Many fisherman have returned safe and sound from the sea off Nagasaki's coast."

   "Well, maybe those fisherman didn't see that mysterious fog you were talking about, so they didn't need to worry about being in the Nagasaki Triangle," Kokichi pointed out. "Maybe you have to be in the right place at the right time."

  "Maybe," Kiyo replied. "But I suppose you should find out for yourselves someday...though, I would advise you not to."

   "Why would you advise us not to if you don't believe in it?" Kokichi asked.

   "Curiosity is a beautiful aspect of humanity," Kiyo said. "But it is also a dangerous one. You may find what you are looking for, but at a great cost. So, if you are going to be curious about something, beware of the possible dangers surrounding it, or it may be the very cause of your... demise."

   ***

   Later that evening, Himiko was back in her room at her desk again. She made up her mind about her topic, which was Stonehenge, but she didn't know how to start her research paper. She plopped her head onto her desk in frustration when she heard fingers tapping on her door. She looked up to see Kokichi holding a bowl of ramen to her.

   "Stuck up here, again?" he asked, handing her the bowl.

  "Nyeh...yeah. I don't know how to start my paper," Himiko sighed. 

   "Sounds like you need a vacation, Monkey Buns!" Kokichi said. 

  "A vacation? Where?" Himiko asked. Kokichi gave her a mischievous grin.

   "Why, the Nagasaki Triangle, of course!" he replied.