ethan :1

"What do you mean you can't?" you violently whisper-yelled through the phone. You were calling with your friend on your way home and as much furious as you were, you still intended to keep your voice low so that you won't catch the unnecessary attention of the other people on the street.

"I thought we had agreed a long time ago on this!" you desperately cried out.

What am I going to do now?

You unconsciously quickened your pace, wanting to get home sooner before you start a heated argument with your friend.

The two of you were planning to go hiking for a week into the mountains and a few days before, your friend told you he's not able to go? You were planning this a month ago - he knew not to make plans during the week you were supposed to go hiking and yet, he suddenly had something else.

But the train tickets, the place at the camp site, everything was already sorted out and booked.

But you didn't want to go alone.

If your friend isn't going, so aren't you, probably. It would be no fun to go by yourself.

"I'm sorry!" he told you over the phone - but he didn't sound all that apologetic in the very least. He could at least have some more decency to let you know such information sooner, not four days before.

"Well, what do you think I should do now?" You couldn't keep the annoyance out of your voice, you pretty much wanted to let him know just how displeased you were with him and the situation he'd put you in.

You almost stumbled over the doorstep when you searched for the keys and opened the door to your apartment, balancing the phone on your shoulder.

"Actually... I may have a solution for you," he said. You could practically hear the smirk forming on his face through the phone.

Stepping inside, you set down your bag and headed to the kitchen, gulping down a whole glass of cold water in a feeble attempt to calm yourself down.

"Just what solution? Oh, do tell me," you responded in an overly curious and sweet voice.

You were oh so done with him. Seriously, who did he think he was to let you know so late? You didn't want to just let all the money to waste by not going and it was already too late to cancel the booked tickets and such.

Your friend slyly answered, "there may be one person who could go with you."

Your heart skipped a beat.

So, in the end, you'll be able to go?

Now, you were honestly curious. "Who is it?" you rushed to ask, anticipating the answer eagerly.

"Ethan," his voice pronounced his name in an exaggerated manner.

Ethan? The baseball captain?

Sure, you had known your friend was friends with him - he also used to play, after all -, but never in the world would you have guessed that it was Ethan who could go hiking with you.

He just always looked so reserved, always stood by the side. You couldn't imagine how spending a week with you, almost a complete stranger to him, wouldn't be out of his comfort zone.

Because as much good friends as your friend was with Ethan, you only met him very shortly if you had accidentally met him while hanging out with the said friend. The exchanges between you were always so tense and awkward.

"Ethan? The Ethan? The introverted boy whom I spoke to like twice?"

"He's only shy around new people," your friend tried to reassure you. "Besides, it would be a great opportunity for you two to get to know each other better," he added.