Heiran tsked, not quite mollified by his admission of wrong. "Tell me what the hell happened, Jungkook? Who did this to you?"

Jungkook bit his lower lip, hesitating and Heiran threw her hands in the air. "Fine, I'm not going to barge in on them and sucker-punch them in the face like I want to. Just tell me what happened."

"How much do you know about the clinic scams?" He narrowed his eyes, trying to assess her reaction. Heiran made a face.

"Quite a lot."

Jungkook waited, not taking the bait, clearly expecting her to elaborate on the answer.

"I know about the drug trafficking, I know about the black market for organs, I know that no organs were 'donated' and I know that the organ donors did not die a natural death."

He nodded his head, seemingly satisfied by her answer. "I've got a guy in Seoul. He works as a private detective. I asked him for a little favor and got a list of these clinics with his expertise. The day I disappeared, I received a call from him regarding a clinic in Itaewon that recently had a patient die. I knew this was the chance for me to find some evidence to start an official investigation finally." Jungkook brushed his hands against the rough scruff beard that had begun to grow on his chin, deep in thought. "I was on stake out, trying to do my best to investigate. For two weeks, they didn't take the body out of the ventilator. And finally, on the day I called you, I saw them bringing them out. Biohazard boxes. I decided to follow them. I was discreet, thought they wouldn't see me but I guess not. Shortly after the journey began, I saw a truck heading for my car from the right. I tried to speed out of the way but I was hit in the back. Unfortunately for them, I survived." Heiran winced, her heart stilling as he recounted the tale. She wondered how he could sound so nonchalant when he almost died. "I lost consciousness. The brief memory I have is of being shackled in a chair and having something injected into me. Next thing I know, I'm on the shore of Yeongsan, freezing to death with no awareness of who I am or where I was whatsoever." He had the audacity to shrug as if to say the rest was history.

Heiran clenched and unclenched her fingers, trying to reel back her emotions that were begging to explode. She took deep breaths trying to calm herself. Jungkook was watching.

"I'm fine, Ran. I won't die that easily."

Maybe. Maybe not. Heiran had an intense urge to check it herself with her fingers against his throat.

"It was then that something snapped in me, you see? I realized how idiotic I was being. They were more dangerous than I thought. I can't die alone like my father did, not being able to reveal the truth to the world. Misunderstood. I need the world to know what they are. I need you."

Heiran's guess was finally proven right. The owner of the journal was indeed Jungkook's father, Jeon Jungsook. But she shot him a sneer, annoyed that he had only just realized her worth.

"Hell, you need me. At least you know it now."

"I've always known that, Ran. It's always been you. You're the only one I need." Jungkook had a soft smile, eyes shining with a sincerity that made her blush. The man had an insane talent to charm. She clenched her teeth, avoiding his eyes so that he didn't get any ideas. Jungkook smirked, "I hope you always know that. Yoongi hyung told me when he came earlier that you thought I was cheating on you?" He raised an eyebrow, amusement etched on his face.

"W-what?! That little snitch!! But hold on a second, when did Yoongi become 'hyung' to you?" Heiran mentally cursed the feline over and over in her head.

"I got promoted from 'Prosecutor Jeon' to 'you f*cking idiot.' I thought I should return the gesture."

"It's not even close."

"Ah, come on, I can't go ahead and disrespect someone who's older than me and start calling names. Like a certain someone." He wiggled his eyebrows.

Heiran only shook her, straightening the bed sheet of his mattress with a sigh. "You should go to bed. I have some things to take care of. I'll be back."

Jungkook frowned. When she picked up the blanket as a cue for him to go to sleep, he whispered suddenly in urgency. "But I have one more important thing to tell you."

"What is it?" Heiran asked, looking at him but he was checking his surroundings as if to see if there were anyone around who could overhear them. Sensing that the matter was important, she moved closer. Jungkook gestured for her to lean down as if to whisper a big secret into her ear. Curious, Heiran did just that when he tackled her to the bed in one swift motion.

"It's time for you to sleep. Everything else can wait."

"YOU LITTLE—Mmph." Heiran had begun to protest when he cut her off with a quick kiss on her lips. She froze in shock. Jungkook smiled down at her.

"There. That's better." He smoothly wrapped his arm around her torso and snuggled close. "And the important thing. I wanted to tell you this when I called last time but I couldn't. So here's your reminder." She glared at him; nevertheless, she listened in silence.

"I love you."

Heiran's body went cold then hot. Conflicting feelings crashed inside her. Revulsion and fear, affection, and warmth. Two unlikely pairings that erupted goosebumps along her skin. She blinked, swallowing hard. "Jungkook, I..."

Say it back. It's just one word. Just say it back. 

But she couldn't. The word remained stuck in her throat like a painful lump, unable to release itself. She could feel him waiting. She needed to force the word out but it won't budge. As if it just had to be the one word she wanted to say the most.

"...I...won't ever forgive you for disappearing on me." She winced, berating herself for being so pathetic. She could feel his arms slacken in disappointment. It made her feel worse.

"Don't worry, love." He whispered, "I know how to make you."

A/n: Finally, they're talking

A/n: Finally, they're talking. So what did you think about this late update?