Chapter 17: The Ripper Stalks

Start from the beginning

Jack stared for a moment longer, averting his gaze to the ground in thought.

And finally, his grin grew.

...

Ozpin was slumped limply against the wall, his gaze distant and his vision blurry. For eight years, he managed to withstand Leaf's torture. His nails had been ripped from their beds and plunged into buckets of salt, he had been forced to eat his own genitals and whatever Leaf scraped off the floor. The beatings of the Executioner's whip that left lacerations across his body, and Rojo's actions that made him sick. He had no idea how he managed to keep silent this long. He felt himself slipping towards the dark seas of insanity, slowly breaking down into a shell of his former self.

Where was Yin? From what he heard from the slaves who would occasionally sneak food to him, the blonde was present in the Church. Did he not know that Ozpin was down here? Or did he, and he just refused to help? Where was Vao? Or Salem? Sasha? Verde? Had it been really been eight years, or less? Longer?

... He didn't know the answer to any of these questions. Or did he? He wasn't sure anymore. Or was he?

He could see the light from the stairwell, a silhouette he didn't recognize standing in the square of light. When the door closed, he could hear footsteps trotting down the stairs.

Creaaak... Creaaaak... Creaaaaaaak...

The dungeon was too dark to make anything out. The only source of light was the candles nearby, but their glow didn't reach that far. He could hear someone moving just out of his sight, the vague, humanoid shape pacing around the darkness. He wondered if Leaf had a bad day. Those were always the worst.

Yet, something deep within his chest was disturbed. That person wasn't Leaf. It wasn't anyone Ozpin had the displeasure of meeting yet. And when he saw his face, he really wished he hadn't. With the fragile state his mind was in, it was the last thing he needed to see. That wide, sickle-like grin that showed most of his teeth, and those eerily calm yellow eyes.

"... Bonjour... Monsieur Ozpin..."

Despair and fear began to flood over Ozpin, his heart racing in his thin, dehydrated, and malnourished chest. This man set off his fight or flight response. The strange smiling man stepped into the light, his hands folded neatly behind his back as he leaned down to peer at Ozpin with curiosity.

"... Je m'appelle Jack Gulden... It is very nice to meet you, monsieur," he cooed politely. "I will be your new caretaker... I do hope we can get along... Mon ami..."

Ozpin watched as Jack stood up straight, turning his back to the knight. He wondered if Jack had killed Leaf. He doubted it, but he hoped it was true. He stared at Jack's back, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion. Where was his Church robes? Wasn't Jack with the Church if he was left in charge of him? Jack hummed quietly to himself, bending down to pick up a stag beetle that scurried across the floor. Pinching the insect between his fingers, he watched as its mandibles squeezed shut, its head trying to reach his thumb.

Crunch.

Ozpin felt himself stomach turn when Jack tossed the bug into his mouth, his teeth crushing through its exoskeleton. Its legs twitched from between his lips, slurped down his throat a second later. Jack turned back to the knight, staring at him from the edge of the darkness.

"... Monsieur... Will you tell me Yin and Vao's secret?"

Ozpin gritted his teeth. He had made it this far. He wouldn't be telling Jack a word. He'd rather be killed. But to his surprise, the smiling man just chuckled softly, approaching with silent footsteps. He squatted down next to the knight, his pale fingers caressing Ozpin's left cheek.