Chapter 17: The Ripper Stalks

ابدأ من البداية

His smile grew wider. "Oh la la... I am needed... Au revoir, mon ami..."

Yin finally let out the breath he didn't realize he had been holding in the moment Jack and Ruby disappeared up the stairs, continuing on his walk without a destination. It felt nice to walk; he could think to himself.

Jack was a mystery to him. From what Yin knew, Jack wasn't a part of the Church. Yet he still regularly took part in the Pope's inner circle meetings. It was all confusing, and led him to wonder who Jack was. When he looked into it at the library, all he got was that the disturbing man was an orphan to a family from the Royal Capital middle class sector. He wasn't anyone important.

It was an almost indescribable feeling that he felt around Jack. The feeling of being unsafe - like as if no matter how far he ran, he would never be safe. Even after knowing Jack for eight years, that feeling never began to dwindle. It remained as strong as the first time he laid eyes on that man, if not stronger. Even though he was polite, never swore, smoked, or participated in drinking, he couldn't trust Jack with an inch. And then there was Ruby...

He noticed the similarities between Jack's calm voice and Ruby's own. She rarely seemed to get upset. And then there was the worrying amount of time she spent with the smiling man. He tried following them a few times, but Ruby always caught him. He just didn't have the skill in stealth that his missing brother did. His mind flickered to her dolls.

Those things gave him the creeps. Ruby always talked about them as if they could hear their surroundings, always talked to them. Yin, as much as he didn't like to admit it, almost admired the way her skill in making them had improved over the years. It was akin to a professional, and then some.

He found himself outside in a matter of moments, his gaze turning back to the cathedral.

Unexplainable to him, he felt a deep, dark, concerning feeling inside him. The feeling of being watched.

With a sigh, he slipped his hands into his pockets, returning to his walk. This indescribable feeling... He wanted to know what it was. Perhaps the best way to compare it to another feeling was that it was not dissimilar to the haunting sense of impending doom.

Jack pushed his way into Pope Iris's office, all eyes shifting to him. Ruby bowed politely before standing beside Leaf. Everyone in Iris's inner circle was present, even the often absent Royal Executioner. The armored man's breath was audible under the cold black steel of his featureless helmet, his arms crossed in front of his chest. Everyone stared at Jack with the same expression that they always did - complete, utter silence.

... Except for one. Leaf was smoking his cigarette, veins snaking their way up his red face. He was furious. Iris shakily drummed his fingers against his desk, a nervous cough escaping his lips.

"... Good afternoon, Jack," he greeted slowly.

The serial killer raised an eyebrow. Iris wanted something. The Pope nodded at Leaf, signaling the Archbishop to speak.

"... Eight years, I haven't gotten anywhere," the dirty blonde smoker hissed. "No matter how many kids I take down there, no matter how many times I let Rojo have his fun in front of that old prick! Not even the Executioner could break him!"

Jack was curious, staring at the Archbishop intensely. Leaf's anger seemed to fade, giving way to the same unease as his allies. "... So, er... You're gonna be in charge of ol' Ozzy-boy..."

Jack hummed, his relaxed yellow eyes rolling towards the Pope. Iris nodded curtly. "... It's already been agreed upon. We just await your decision, Jack. Will you visit Ozpin? If you do, you absolutely cannot kill him. He's still useful while he is withholding information."