My Daughter - Short Story - Completed

Prologue

Max pulled over to the side of the road and looked down the main street of his home town. From the looks of it not much had changed other than the style of cars. Then again most of the cars were older as they had been when he had been growing up. There were a few new model cars and he had to figure they belonged to the kids and not their parents. As he was looking he was leaning against the steering wheel of his Mustang. It much like most of the other cars was older since it was from the mid-80's. The biggest difference was he had completely torn it down and rebuilt it. To say it looked in mint condition was an understatement.

As he was looking down the main street so many memories came back to him. Heaven only knew how many times he and his friends had walked down this street. He had watched any number of parades celebrating the 4th, Veteran's day, Memorial day and more. He had met his first love and lost his first love at the diner on the corner. At the same diner his family would go to for special times. They hadn't been well off so eating out was reserved for special times and celebrations.

Now though, the diner, it just brought back old memories. He finally leaned back and started his car again. Max pulled back on the road and drove to the diner before actually parking. Once the car was off he stepped out and his hazel eyes took in one more look before he settled his hat on a bit more secure. It was a decent day but since it was early in the morning the wind was on the brisk side. Due to that he settled the duster somewhat more on his shoulders before he walked into the Diner.

"Just a moment Hun and I will be with you." The waitress was an older lady who had been working there for ages. When she came over she couldn't help but smile at him. "Max? I don't believe it and how are you doing?" She gave him a good hug before showing him to a booth.

When she hugged him it was a good hug and he barely managed not to wince. She had pressed against the scar on his chest. It was something he had received in Afghanistan while he was over there. It had almost killed him and even though it was healed it still hurt badly at times. "Hey Deborah, it is good to see you as well. I am doing okay." Normally he would be pleased to be back but he was home to deal with his parent's house. His father had died a number of years ago and his mother was in an assisted living home now.

Before he sat down he pulled his duster off and adjusted the loose shirt he had on. After being seated he didn't even bother with looking at the menu since he knew what he wanted. "I will take a three egg bacon and cheese omelet with hash. Sour dough toast and you might as well bring the coffee machine over." He flashed her a grin when he said that.

She laughed at his joke. "So the service corrupted you? I don't remember you doing much coffee when you were in school." Since it was Memorial weekend she gave him a warm grandmotherly smile. "By the way thank you for your service. I know your father was so proud of you." When Max had left his father had been less than pleased since he had been so worried. It hadn't stopped him from being very proud though.

Max laughed at her comment. "Call it midnight watch as well as being up for many hours at a time." He knew his father had been proud of him but his leaving hadn't been a happy one. "Thank you Deborah. All gave some and some gave all." He had lost several friends over there and they were the ones who he valued more than anyone else.

~~~

Jessie was starting to run late and why the hell had her clock chosen today to die? "Emily you had better be getting your butt moving or else." She yelled down the hallway at her daughter. She loved the little girl but some days Emily drove her nuts. Part of it was she was as stubborn as her father had been. Part of it was she looked like him as well and it hurt thinking about him at times. She missed her former boyfriend a great deal and wished things had been different.