THIRTY

"Are we gonna talk about this? You know, like one on one?"

"Wasn't planning on it."

I start to gather my things and head to leave when Josh grabs my wrist.

"Ry, don't be like that."

I rip my hand away.

"Last I checked, you broke up with me, so don't act like I owe you an explanation."

"I know you don't, Ry, but that doesn't mean I don't want to try to talk this out."

"I don't. I've been doing just fine without you."

He looks wounded, and though that's exactly why I said it, it didn't make me feel any better.

I wanted him to hurt the way I did, but I didn't think seeing the pain in his eyes would hurt way worse.

And though it pains me to see him this way; I know he deserves it, and I deserve better, so instead of caving and comforting him how I want to, I stay guarded.

"I should go," I mutter, making my way around him only to be pulled backward by my arm.

I stumble into his chest from the force, and he encapsulates me to ensure I hear him out.

His chin rests on the top of my head, and his lips graze my ear as I close my eyes to avoid making eye contact.

I fight back the surfacing emotions as shivers shoot down my spine; I refuse to let him win, not again.

"I'm sorry for the way I reacted, Ry. It was out of pocket and over the top, so I apologize for that. I'm also sorry for hurting you; that was never my intention, but most importantly, I'm sorry for how this ended; I shouldn't have dumped you. You're way more to me than just some girl, Ry; I hope you know that."

"Yeah, well, sorry's not gonna cut it this time, Richards."

Before he can reply, I'm out the door and heading down the driveway; I'm done fighting with him.

The chapter has come to a close.

This marks the end of us.