Chapter XXIV - SACRIFICIAL

"You are an accursed human, a deathbringer," Gray determined, closing his eyes for a mere second. "You are to be burned to death."

Your expressioned hardened as you saw flames surround you. Burn to death? This...isn't good.

"I thought you'd at least spare me the pain," you said, looking directly at Gray's eyes. "Someone like you does not deserve the mercy of a painless death," he responded, glaring.

"As expected. But, if I were to touch this fire, I would burn away, right?" you said. "That...is correct," Gray replied, a bit startled at the question. That was obvious, wasn't it? It was fire.

But you smiled, walking forward. "This is just an illusion, though. So the moment I try to break free of this cognitive realm by acknowledging its existence, it'll shatter just as easily, correct?"

As soon as you pointed out the singular fact, the court arena broke into pieces, like a mosaic, disappearing slowly.

"You're doing this because you're trying to see things the way God does," you said.
"..." the man didn't respond. 

"Let me tell you then; no matter how much you may try, you won't see things the way God does. You're only human, after all," you said.

"You can try, over and over a thousand times, but you won't achieve anything. We're all humans, after all. It'd be foolish to try and become a god or see things the way God does," you finished, crossing your arms, all your belongings back with you.

"...I see," was all Gray responded. "Now then, do me a favor; can you at least guide me to some medicine?" you asked.

"You aren't going to kill me?" Gray said.
"Why would I? I'm not a ruthless murderer," you replied. "I'm just someone who's trying to get out of this hellhole."

Gray only sighed, signaling you to follow him as the two of you entered a room, full of hemorrhagics and medicine.

"Perfect," you muttered, taking a few of the bottles, and some other medicine, placing them in your bag. "Why so much?" Gray asked.

"You never know what's to happen," you said. "And if you excuse me, I'll be on my way to Zack, if the idiot's still alive, that is."

"Worry not, he is," Gray said. You nodded and turned around. "But please, stay awhile," Gray suggested, looking at you with his blank eyes.

Stopping midway, you looked back. "What?" you said.
"I told you that I would answer why you're here," Gray answered. "That was my end of the deal."

"Huh," you muttered. "Alright then. Why am I here?"
"You were set here after you had escaped from your past organization's affiliations," Gray started. "You had committed a rather atrocious act in order to get your hands on information about a certain legal case."

What?

"I found you passed out on the streets with the gun your... friend gave you, and I took the liberty of putting you through these trials, given that you seemed to be someone interesting," Gray finished. "And here you are today in search of an exit. Your memories will soon return once you go to the outside world."

You nodded slowly, mulling over what Gray had just told you, and then left. "Thanks for answering."

The priest nodded, watching your figure dissipate into the larger room. "...Such an interesting human specimen, isn't she?"

Walking down the halls, you took a last look at the crystalline walls. You narrowed your eyes. You felt as if millions stared at you from the glass walls.

The fallen. Those slain. Your sins. It was a reminder of your actions from before B6, before you were inside this asylum. Who you loved, who hurt you, all of them.

You turned your head away, ignoring the feeling, and continued toward Zack, knowing he might probably start to move soon.

You opened the door, and saw Zack lying on the floor. "Zack!" you exclaimed, running toward the injured man.

You rushed to him and lifted him. He opened his eyes slowly, black hair strands falling over one of his eyes, a confused expression on his bandaged face. Pretty..Wait! No no no no no, focus! Shit, focus-

"Y/N?" Zack said. "...Yes?" you replied. "There, you spaced out for a bit. Did you get what I asked you to get?" Zack asked.

"Yeah, here it is," you said, taking out of your pocket the sharp knife and giving it to him. He let out a dry chuckle, as he sighed. "Feels like an old friend, huh?" he said, smiling.

"Also, Zack," you began. The male turned his head toward you, listening intently. "I...found plenty of clean bandages down in B6, so, I thought I'd bring them here," you said.

Zack blinked a couple of times, before opening his mouth again. "...You didn't have to," he murmured. "You were and still are bleeding, Zack. So, I wanted to ask," you said. "Yeah?"

"Would you prefer if I took care of your wounds or if you'd bind yourself? I don't want to make you uncomfortable, and if you prefer just tying up the bandages yourself, that's fine by me too, but we can't move until you're healed," you explained.

Zack wasn't really fond of the idea of you dealing with his wounds. He, however, did know that he probably wouldn't be able to bind himself in this state, and he wouldn't get far if he tried to move.

"...You do it, but don't touch much," Zack said. "I'll try to make it as quick as possible. It'll probably hurt though," you murmured.

You pondered on the materials you could use, and then looked back at Zack. "Erm..not sure if you're comfortable, but, I'm going to need you to lower the zipper of your hoodie," you said, a light red tinting your face.

"I'm bandaged, it's not like you'll see anything, relax," Zack smirked, lowering it. "I didn't mean it like that," you stated, looking at the wound.

You took out a small needle and thread, getting close to the wound. "Try not to move much, okay? It's not gonna be painless," you said. Zack only nodded, his eyes widening as the pain surged. "Ow!" he yelled, hissing as he flinched.

"It's a needle and thread, I said it was gonna hurt a bit, now hold on," you said.
You patched it up with your materials, and as soon as you were done, you took some bandages and started to wrap it around the wound.

"There we go," you said. "All better."

". . .Let's rest for a few minutes," Zack said. "Oh?" you said, surprised.

"You just sewed me up, this shit hurts, so we'll move once I've rested up," Zack said frustratedly. "Very well then," you replied, giving Zack a gentle smile of your own.

"Take your time. You've all the time in the world, Zack."