Chapter X - MONSTROSITY

You stared at the metal door in front, Zack walking behind you. Unaware of his presence, he picked you up by the neck and put you aside as he kicked open the door.

"Stop staring and get in already," he said, as he walked inside, you following behind. "Geez, no need to pick me up, though," you muttered as you walked inside.

Looking around, you saw the wooden 'dolls' that were sitting in the benches. 'Something's off here...'

You looked around. "What's up? You look a bit lost," Zack said, a hint of worry, but faint, in his voice. "I just...don't seem to find a mechanism anywhere," you replied.

"I'll just go sit on that chair over there," Zack said, setting his scythe aside. "Zack, I don't think you should," you said, warily. "Why the hell not? Stop nickpicking everything I do!" he responded.

"Zack, that's an electric chair used for executions!" you yelled, but before Zack could react, curtains closed.

"Hey—what the fuck is- what the hell is this shit!?" Zack yelled, as the curtains opened and circuits and metallic connectors were attached onto his body and head.

A TV screen lowered down and turned on. "Hello! Terribly sorry I can't be there in person to bear witness this execution with you," Cathy said, a smile on her face from across the screen. "Why you...!" you said, fists clenched.

"Oh! Seems Zack sat down right on the electric chair right on his own! How unfortunate!" Cathy said, Zack glaring at the screen.

"Let me go, you sadistic bitch!" he yelled, as he tried to move around the chair. "I'm afraid I can't do that, Zack, all criminals must behave and follow the rules, after all," Cathy said, a darker smile on her face.

"Now, let's do a little test run!" Cathy said, as she raised her leg, and her heel landed on a button with the label 'Heaven', which initiated the electric currents.

Zack screamed over and over, electricity coursing over him until the button was let go. His voice was hoarse, and he was breathing heavily.

"My, did he die already?" Cathy said, a pinch of curiosity in her voice. You waited, hoping Zack was still alive. Please...Zack..?

Zack let out a grunt. "That fucking hurt, damn it!" he yelled. "My! You lasted that!? You truly are a monster, Zack!" Cathy said with ecstasy.

"Cut the crap and let him go! He already survived through the shock, set him free!" you said, in a desperate manner. "Hm? But that'd be no fun! And you can't talk either, my dear Y/N; a sinner has no right of choice," Cathy replied.

"If you keep shocking him, he'll die!" you yelled angrily. "That's what's fun about it!" Cathy said.

"But, since you keep insisting, I'll make it a small little deal, okay? If you figure out the mechanism, I'll let your beloved Zack free! But until then, I'll keep on shocking him, and I won't stop until the mechanism is solved! Got it?" Cathy said.

"You got yourself a deal, you madwoman," you spat. "...I'll kill you..." Zack whispered.

"I'll kill you, I'll kill you, I'll kill you, I'll kill you, I'll kill you, I'll kill you, I'll kill you, I'll kill you!"

Zack repeated over and over, overridden by bloodlust. He lifted his face slowly to face you. "Hey...ya made a promise..we'd get out of here alive...and protect each other...you know what it means for you if I die...right..!?" he said.

"That'd make us both liars," you said, getting close. "That's right. So don't you dare make us liars," Zack said, coughing.

He was cut short, however, as the electricity coursed through him again. You looked behind, and saw the heads of the wooden dolls waving from side to side, eyes glowing pink.

Those dolls..!

You looked back, and tried to reach Zack's scythe. You carried it, and dragged it out. "God..! This is so heavy..!" you whispered, as you spun around out of control, aiming for the heads of the dolls.

You somehow managed to lug the thing around and cut off all of the dolls' heads off. You then fell to the floor. "Phew..." you managed, as you wiped the sweat of your forehead.

You walked towards Zack, as you reached to him, his eyes closed, almost as if he was asleep. 'Zack, please' you thought, as you tensed at the thought he'd gone unconscious.

He suddenly opened his eyes and stood up, placing his hands on your shoulders. "Took ya long enough, you short shit! You have any idea how painful that was!?" he said, shaking you violently. 

"At least you're alive..?" you said, a sheepish look on your face.

"Damn right I am. Takes more than that to kill me," Zack muttered. You still carried his scythe, and you knew he noticed that. 

"Congratulations, Zack! You really are a monster, you passed through all that, and any other person would be dead by now!" Cathy said happily. "Give me that," Zack muttered to you. "I know it, the moment you'll die it'll be a—"

C R A S H

Zack slashed the TV. "Jesus, I get lit up like a Christmas tree, you use my scythe on toys—man, screw my life!" he said. You really could only laugh lightly at his humor.

"You're hilarious, Zack," you said, as you walked out. He widened his eyes, a light red tinting what was visible of his face. "Shut up," he mumbled, as he walked towards you.

Soon enough, you reached a room with a danger symbol. "It seems this is the next room," you said, a hand on your hip. "It seems worse than the last, we should be cautious. This could be dangerous," you said.

"I think you mistake me for someone who gives a damn," Zack said, opening the room.

"Alright, let's go in, then," you said, walking in, Zack following and the door locking itself. "Well just great, we're locked in here," you said.

"At this point, I'd be surprised if we wouldn't be locked," Zack said, looking around. He looked towards a glassy material, and he hit it with his scythe.

However, it proved futile, as it seemed to be made of a firm material. "Damn it!" he cursed under his breath.

"It's no use, Zack, we're trapped inside. I'm sure Cathy will somehow direct herself to explain this room. Maybe. And hopefully, we'll know how to get out then," you said, clenching your fists.

"From the looks of it, though, this looks like a gas chamber, so it's most likely this room was made to secure all exits to make sure the gas killed those inside and that the gas didn't spread out," you said.

"Well that just sucks," Zack said, looking at you. "Guess so," you said.

Right on cue, a familiar voice followed by the setting glitching screen appeared. "You are absolutely right, Y/N!" Cathy said. "You are quite the intelligent woman, aren't you? You'd make the brains of the perfect criminal leader!" she said.

"Would you stop referring to me as a criminal? I'm not some mass murderer," you said, glaring at Cathy. 

"Fine, fine. As Y/N previously said, this is a room entirely closed off. This room will be filled with a wonderful poisonous gas," Cathy said, some noises of groaning people filling the background, as if you were being watched by an audience.

"However, you do have a gas mask! Think about i as a shred of mercy as you go through this puzzle," Cathy said, cheering noises playing, replacing the previous ones.

"Still, it'd be quite boring if I'd let you try and solve this forever, so I've set a timer! Once that runs out, the room will be filled with a gas so potent even you're sure to die, no matter if you're even wearing the mask!" Cathy said.

You clenched your fists. "Now, with that being said, good luck! I'm sure you'll figure out how to escape here!" Cathy said.

"Let's get started, my beloved criminals!"