chapter three

╭──────༺♡༻──────╮
you've got my devotion
╰──────༺♡༻──────╯

THE COOL SEPTEMBER AIR TURNED INTO CHILLY OCTOBER. The student now had adapted to the school again and 1st-year students weren't running around looking for their classes. One day, after potions, Slughorn had asked Valentina and Lily to stay after for a quick word. Lily gave her an accusatory stare. The two said goodbye to their friends. The two Gryffindor girls walked to the front of the class and waited for Slughorn who had previously gone into his office. 

Lily anxiously checked her watch and gave irritated glances to Valentina who was humming a Mamas and Papas song under her breath.

"Could you stop?" Lily hissed, straightening her back. Valentina rolled her eyes but stopped nonetheless, she didn't want to irritate Lily more than she probably already was. "Are you and Potter friends now?" Lily asked, unable to stop herself.

"Why do you care? The last time I checked you wanted nothing to do with me."

"Valentina–"

"Here we are!" Slughorn interrupted, "Here you are girls, special invite for the naturally talented." He laughed. He handed them two invitations, opening hers, Valentina read that she was cordially invited to the... Slug Club?

"Forgive me professor, what is the 'Slug Club'?"

"A dinner party with some of my brightest students is all, of course, it isn't a requirement to join but many well-known names in the Wizarding world have been previous students of mine." Slughorn boasted.

Valentina smiled gratefully and stuffed the invitation in her robe, "Thank you for thinking of me Professor, I'd be delighted to join."

"Wonderful! And you Miss Evans?"

"It would be an honor, thank you." She said sickly sweetly. Both Valentina and Slughorn looked at her oddly. Clearing his throat awkwardly he dismissed the two.

Walking down the corridor, Valentina felt like she might combust from the tension in the air. Unfortunately, her saving grace was Leo. "Where have you been? I've been waiting forever" He said, once she got closer.

Valentina sighed, "Slughorn wanted to talk to Evans and I."

"What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything, he just let her and I know that we've been doing well in his class. He was being nice."

Leo looked unconvinced but because Lily was still there, he didn't argue. "Listen, Quidditch try-outs for Gryffindor are today,  are you planning on going?"

"Yeah, I am!" She said keenly. "Alice told me to join her because Frank is trying out and she usually gets bored. I think a few Gryffindor's are going out  to watch." Valentina rambled, she picked up her pace now walking again.

"You can't go," Leo said at once.

Valentina turned to look at him, "Why not? Last time I checked I could do whatever the hell I want."

"Last time I checked," Leo repeated, "You agreed to put in the effort for this to work."

"We both agreed!" Valentina said angrily, "How come I'm the only one who's been making sacrifices to keep you happy? I am going, and I don't want to hear you bitch and moan about it later."

"You're being so selfish, Valentina! I am asking you for one thing."

"And I am saying 'no'! Why are you acting like you haven't been hovering over me now that James and I are friends."