Nevermore

It's time!!! Be sure to read the important note at the end!

~/~/~/~

Star City

February 15, 7:00 PST

"I'm guessing that you've had a busy month."

Jenna gave a wry grin as she settled back into the plush cushions behind her. "How'd you figure?" she asked. "Was it because it's been over a month since we've last done one of these sessions?"

The man sitting across from her smiled in return. "Something like that," he said simply. "Why don't you give me a rundown of the important parts?"

Firstly, there was the thing with Sam.

The kid was an actual meta-human.

Looking back on it, it was almost ridiculous how that little fact had managed to stay a secret for so long. So many situations happened where that could have been discovered and yet it still managed to slip under their radar.

He called it a 'messed up version of echolocation'. It was like his sense of awareness had been cranked up to a thousand, giving him a mental map of everything around him to know exactly who or what was around him before anyone else did. The size of said things depended on how clear they were in his mind, but he was getting the hang of it.

It sucked for the first few days. It was all so new and unexpected that even the slightest shift in someone's stance nearby would nearly make him keel over. Then the next few weeks involved a lot of effort to learn to separate his usual sense of feeling from the amplified version. It was necessary if he was ever going to get it under control; the last thing he wanted was to be stuck like that, only able to see through vibrations essentially. 

Jenna had drug him out of the Premiere Building's medbay, grappling with the fact that she essentially had to re-teach control to her protégé. Something she had to learn herself at a young age.

Her own powers had woken when she was just seven years old. She had gone to the mall with her family and, due to it being so crowded, she got lost. Her fear was already overwhelming her, but it was someone grabbing her by the arm that set it off. She had let out a scream, but what came out was no ordinary cry from a child.

Amid the chaos and confusion of 'why is that little girl screaming so loudly' and 'how did those store windows suddenly shatter', Jenna's mom found her and immediately grabbed her and her sister, rushing all of them home. Then the following days consisted of teaching Jenna how to handle her newfound Canary Cry–the exact same that her mom and sister had.

Which is what Jenna had been doing with Sam almost twenty years later. Easier said than done when it was nothing she had dealt with before, but the only way to get better was to force him to work on that control. They found that meditation helped. Forcing oneself to let everything go and then pick and choose what to allow back in. 

It was helping, little by little, and so was learning to hone that ability when one couldn't rely on vision. He had also joked that wearing a blindfold so many times was going to improve his hearing too.

"What else?"

Then there was the situation with Artemis that took place just the night before.

~8~8~8~

Jenna had received a phone call from Zatanna in the evening. Her friend asked her to meet her, M'gann, and Raquel immediately. Because there was an issue involving Artemis.

She wanted to see Wally.

She had hopes that their magic friend would be capable of...finding her a solution. So she could see her boyfriend again and get some kind of closure.