Unknown Factors

Here we go, early post! The first of the two chapters I have been waiting on since I started working on the last fic. You'll see pretty quickly that things are going to be...pretty different compared to the episode it's connected to, which I'll talk about a little bit more at the end!

~/~/~/~

Star City

January 20, 18:33 PST

"You can't be serious."

Jenna turned around, leaning against her kitchen sink with a glass of water in hand. Her hair was tugged back into a sweaty ponytail since she had just returned from a run when she found someone waiting at her front door. For the first time in two years, she willingly let the person inside since he wanted to talk about a plan of his.

Jenna stared at the man sitting at her table. He was looking up at her expectantly after he gave a short rundown of what he wanted the two of them to do. Nothing about his expression or posture gave the impression that he felt even the slightest bit guilty about what he had just suggested.

"Dick, you're suggesting that we break into someone's home," Jenna said sternly. "Don't tell me you don't see how that can go very wrong very quickly."

Dick spread his arms against the table, shrugging his shoulders. "You said yourself that Metron implied that Gretchen Goode could be the Granny that's working with Desaad. That's worth looking into."

"By committing an unlawful search and seizure?" Jenna pinched the bridge of her nose. "This is going too far."

Dick raised an eyebrow. "What is?"

"This!" Jenna exclaimed, gesturing to the air. "This 'Anti-Light' matter. Wonder Woman was right. We're starting to cross a line by lying and influencing missions. And now this."

She narrowed her eyes. "If we do check out Gretchen Goode's home, what if we get caught?" she questioned.

"We won't."

"You don't know that!"

Dick sighed. "Look. We'll just do a recon of her house until we find something," he tried to reason. "We'll be in and out."

Jenna crossed her arms, glaring at the table in silence. All she could think about was what Wonder Woman had left them to contemplate in the last meeting. The Leaguer's co-leader might as well have grabbed her by the shoulders and shaken her. She was right of course. But Jenna was afraid they were in too deep at that point.

"Jenna."

Jenna looked up to see Dick had stood and rounded the table to stand opposite of her. He mirrored her actions, leaning against the edge of the table and crossing his arms.

"Please help," he begged. "I need you."

There was almost a sense of déjà vu that made Jenna close her eyes. "Okay," she acquiesced with a sigh. "When are we doing this?"

~/~/~/~

Hollywood

January 20, 20:26 PST

Siren wasn't sure why she felt so anxious. The more she looked up the hill at Gretchen Goode's house, the more she steadily grew uncomfortable. It was supposed to be a simple search, so why did she feel like she was waiting for the ball to drop?

"This is Cat Grant reporting live for GBS from the Babylonian Theater in Hollywood; where Goode World Studios is holding the World Premiere of its latest blockbuster: 'The Great Khan.' With me now is the name behind the studio, Gretchen Goode herself!"