Early Warning

Star City

December 21, 06:22 PST

The light that began to stream through the bedroom window managed to wake Jenna up before her alarm for once. One would think having to go on late-night patrols before getting up early to work would become easier as time went on. Especially when so much time was spent in other time zones, forcing sleep schedules to be extremely flexible. Yet, that wasn't the case every day.

Jenna reflexively turned her face toward her pillow in a feeble attempt to block out the light. 

It had been a bad night; a sarcastic comment made by Sam had reminded her of an old argument between her and the...former...love of her life. Though she tried not to let it show, it dropped her mood pretty significantly, so patrol wrapped up a little bit early.

Either way, her attempts to grab any last bit of sleep she could were feeble, so Jenna gave up and finally cracked her eyes open.

She took her time getting up and getting ready for the day. After a quick shower and a cup of coffee with a bagel after getting dressed, she felt a bit more alive. She scratched Amp's head before straightening to reach for her purse resting on the entryway table.

She then noticed the sticky note left underneath. Skimming over her own writing, she let out a groan.

"'Need extra invoice forms.' Right."

Jenna tossed the small sheet of paper away in the kitchen before padding back to her bedroom. She made a beeline straight for her desk, rifling around for the spare book she kept at home for backup. Usually, she had enough at the shop, but she kept putting it off until she ran out completely. She made an order for more, but it was still going to take a couple of days until they arrived.

"Where did I put that..." Jenna sat at her desk, rifling through its contents until she found her prize. There it was, laying inside the bottom drawer with a bunch of old folders and no-longer-needed items that she just couldn't bring herself to finally throw away.

She rolled her eyes, straightening up to place the booklet on the desktop. Note to self, clean out the desk this weekend. She bent back down to close the drawer, only to pause when she spotted something laying on top of a stack of old papers and letters.

Although part of her was already telling her to just close the drawer and leave, the other part won out as she reached down and picked up the picture frame that lay face-down.

Jenna stood upright, slowly turning the frame over to view what she already knew it contained.

~8~8~8~

"Is that funnel cake?"

Jenna whirled around, shielding the paper plate in her hands with her body. She glared at the person who asked the curious question.

"Don't even think about it, Wal," she warned with a hint of venom in her tone. "This is the best place in Star City for anything sweet and fried and I'll be damned if you take any from me. Your girlfriend's coming with some in a second."

Wally suddenly recoiled. "Fine, damn," he said with an incredulous laugh as he held his hands up in surrender.

Jenna stuck out her tongue at him as he backed closer to Dick, muttering under his breath. His best friend chuckled.

"Dude, you're just mad that you met your match," he pointed out, eyes full of mirth.

"Finally," Jenna called out, grinning as she turned back to the person at her side.