~Chapter Nine~

I was woken up right before my alarm went off. The sun was shining into my window almost perfectly to shine directly on my eyes. That is really the most annoying way to get woken up.

I sighed and got dressed for school and then headed downstairs. The house was empty when I got downstairs for the first time in a while. I guess my parents had to work early.

I grabbed myself something quick for breakfast, meaning I ate a poptart, and then headed out the door to see my favorite person.

He was sitting outside on my porch waiting for me today.

"Morning." I smiled when I looked down at the step where he was sitting. He had pokemon pulled up on his handheld again.

"Morning. Are you ready to go? It kinda looks like rain. I wanna get to school before it starts." He said. I looked up into the sky to see dark clouds forming and starting to cover the beautiful sun that had woken me up that morning. I nodded and we got started with our walk.

We got to school just as it started to downpour, thank fucking god. The rain totally would've ruined my hair.

I headed towards the stairs to see Yaku at the bottom. Looks like this is going to be a daily occurrence.

"Looks like you guys just beat the rain." He said as we started to walk up the stairs.

"Yeah, we barely made it in. Hopefully it doesn't go all day. I won't be able to eat lunch up on the roof if it does." I said.

"Oh, speaking of lunch, I wanted to ask, do you wanna eat lunch with me today?" I was kind of confused. Yaku and I don't really talk a whole lot outside of volleyball and in the mornings. He usually sat with a group of friends and I sat up on the roof alone most days because second years have lunch at a different time.

"Yeah, sure. We're sitting on the roof if it stops raining though." I said. That was my spot. It was quiet, you could see the entire town from up there, and usually you were alone, which is nice sometimes.

"Fine by me, I'll meet you outside your class. Later, Kuroo!" He smiled before dipping into his classroom. I wonder why he wants to eat lunch with me all of a sudden?

I headed to my classroom to sit through boring lessons all day long.

~~~

When the bell for lunch rang I grabbed my stuff and headed out. I saw Yaku standing outside the classroom.

"Hey, ready? He asked. I nodded. I led the way to where we were sitting. It had stopped raining and the sun was back out so we headed on up to the rooftop.

"So, skip the bullshit, why did you wanna have lunch with me?" I asked as soon as we were sat down and situated.

"What, I can't just want to eat lunch with a friend?" He asked.

"No. This isn't something you usually do, so skip the bullshit."

"Okay, okay, I just wanted to come talk and see if you guys figured out what's going on between you and Kenma? I was just curious." He shrugged.

"No update since last we spoke about it. I'm honestly afraid to act on it. He's my best friend. I don't want to lose that."

"You'll never know if you don't do something."

"I know. Why are you butting into my love life by the way?" I asked.

"Oh, I'm just nosey. And we're friends. The whole situation has had you distracted and I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Me? Distracted? Nah." I laughed.

"Kuroo, you've definitely been distracted. You still do well on the court but you have your moments."

"I'm fine, Yakkun. Thank you for being concerned, but I'm okay." I assured him. If he can notice I'm distracted, I wonder who else has noticed? I'm sure Kenma has. Well, no, I know that Kenma has noticed.

"Alright, just know you can come vent to me. I'm not going to judge you, I promise."

"Thank you. I appreciate it." I smiled. We sat there the rest of lunch talking about volleyball. Mostly about the camp that we leave for on Friday.

After school I met Kenma at the bottom of the stairs, as usual. He was standing there playing a game on his handheld.

"Whatcha playing?" I asked, leaning against the wall over him to try and see his screen.

"Some random racing game I found in my collection. I don't remember ever playing it so I figured I'd give it a shot." He said with his eyes still glued to the system. We started walking outside to head to volleyball practice. The rain had started again, which sucks. We'll probably end up walking home in the rain too.

Practice today was just a bunch of drills. Spikes, sets, diving drills, if it was a basic volleyball skill, we were doing drills on it today. Why are we doing drills? Because apparently yesterday at practice we were slacking in a lot of areas and needed to work on them.

In my defense...I was kinda distracted. Okay, maybe Yaku is right, I am getting distracted a lot.

The worst of the drills were the diving drills. They were necessary to help us get better at diving for balls and blocked ball retrieval and things like that, but goddamn. They hurt quite a bit after a while. Coach was having us do like a hundred of them or something like that because they were our worst skill yesterday. Why couldn't our worst have been something like blocking? Something not as painful?

After practice Kenma and I headed home.

"Have I been more distracted lately?" I asked him.

"Very."

"Oh..."

"Why are you asking?"

"Yaku ate lunch with me today to talk. He wanted to check in with me and see if I was okay because I just seemed way more distracted lately than I usually am."

"You have been. Everyone on the team has noticed, it was just kind of decided that no one except Yaku or I would talk to you about it. We're the two you'd open up to the most."

"It's that bad?"

"Yes. I'm coming to your place tonight. We can talk more later about it, and you're actually going to talk about it. None of this 'I'm not distracted' bullshit like the other day when I'd brought it up. I'm worried about you." He said. All I could do was nod. I guess tonight's the night where I was actually going to talk to him about it. 

~Word Count~
~1114~