Chapter 14: Dawn of the Festival

Start from the beginning

At Yin's house, he was getting a warmer welcome than Vao was. When he burst through the front door, his father was already on top of him. "Yin!"

"D-dad!?"

Tai was moved to tears, crying shamelessly in front of his own kid. "Everyone thought you guys were dead! We heard you went into the mountains towards the Sea of Sand! What were you thinking!?"

"D-does mom know!?"

Tai just nodded. "Y-yeah... She's upstai-"

Yin was tackled to the ground, his mother joining his father in sobbing. She grabbed the front of his robes, her silver eyes tinted red. "You've no idea how sick everyone's been!"

"I-I'm sorry! Please stop crying, I feel awful!"

Summer sat up, wiping at her eyes. "W-we're sorry... It's just been so quiet in the house," she said with a quiet stammer.

Confusion hit Yin. "Quiet?" He echoed. "What about Ruby?"

Tai wiped his eyes, taking a deep breath. He looked proud. "... Ruby left Faralda about a week after you left," he said. His voice was still a bit shaky. "You'll be so happy to hear what she's accomplished, Yin!"

Summer nodded, beaming like the sun. Yin shrugged. "... What happened?"

His parents looked at each other, and then back at him. "You see," Tai began. "Ruby was invited to the Royal Capital. She's become the Archbishop's apprentice! Since you're in the Church, we figured you'd be ecstatic."

Normally, he would. To work under the Pope's right hand man was huge. So why? Why did he feel such a heavy sense of dread?

...

Leaf growled as he looked at the sky, watching the clouds pass. He never liked waiting. He growled a second time, lighting a cigarette and taking a deep breath. Not far away was the Church's carriage that would take them to the Festival of Light in Faralda. Inside, Rojo and Iris waited patiently. Leaf was beginning to grow very annoyed.

"Where the fuck is Ruby?" He grumbled under his breath, taking another drag off his cigarette.

Earlier, Ruby had told him she'd be visiting Jack. He noticed the serial killer taking an interest in the young adventurer lately, and every time she came back she'd be out of it. Unfocused, quiet, it was enough for Leaf to be uncomfortable. And what was worse was she kept bringing dolls back, and would always try to give him one. Leaf found it odd, to say the least.

He turned when he heard the footsteps, he fired a nasty glare. Ruby was walking towards him, her dress shoes almost silent against the dirt. Jack was beside her, his smile still ever present. "Bonjour, monsieur," he greeted in that calm voice.

Ruby was almost completely silent, her hands clutching her newest doll. Leaf never liked those things. They didn't look right. But Ruby loved them, always whispering to them. He was convinced that the Blood had driven her bat shit crazy. The Archbishop crossed his arms. "Your late," he growled. "You were supposed to be here ten minutes ago."

"... Good morning, Your Excellency," Ruby almost whispered. Leaf stopped. Something wasn't right. When she spoke, it didn't feel like she was talking to him. "My deepest apologies for my tardiness... I was making another dolly..."

Leaf glared at Jack, pointing at the adventurer. "Th' fuck is this?"

Jack hummed, shrugging his shoulders casually. He knew, but he wasn't going to tell Leaf. Not in public, anyway. As mad as he was, he wasn't stupid. The Archbishop groaned. "Whatever. Hey, dildo. Get your ass in the carriage before I take your stupid dolly awa-"