The Apocolypse (1)

So what if the sound of sirens echoed in his ear? So what if people were running and screaming and yelling while he was all alone, his hands held tightly over his ears as he hid in the closet, his heart thundering in his chest as his breaths coming out in short pants? It was fine, everything was fine. 

Screaming in the distance made him whimper, tears falling down his cheeks. This was not fine.

The day had started off well too. The sun was bright, the sky was clear and MK was rushing to get to school, tripping over his own feet as he hurried in an effort not to be late again. 

His best friend Mei wasn't going to be in today he knew, and that definitely put a damper on things. Her parents were out of town and so was she for the week on a business-related trip. He loved that her family was rich, it meant they got to do lots of fun things all the time since she had such a big allowance and yet moments like this made him hate it too.

Still, MK had high hopes for today. He had art for the first two periods and that was his favorite lesson by far so he was really looking forward to it, having made sure his headphones were tucked into his bag so he could swing to the beat of the music while working. 

And he had, even without his only friend there it had been great and even lunch went fine later on in the day. No one tried to talk to him or trip him up so he'd really thought today was going to stay great.

Then he got locked in the supply closet.

It was just after lunch, right before their last lesson of the day, and his bullies had decided that MK had been looking a little too happy today and without Mei around to fiercely protect him and threaten to put people in the hospital, they'd ganged up on him, taunted him, taken his phone, punched him a few times for good measure and thrown him into the cupboard all the way at the most unused part of the gym right before the beginning of last period and locked it from the outside. 

MK already knew before throwing himself at the door and trying the handle desperately that no one was going to be letting him out anytime soon and he was far enough away from any classrooms or lockers that no one would hear him if he yelled. Something he'd learned from experience.

So rather than crying and tiring himself out with panic, he pulled out his sketchbook and began drawing, humming to himself and waiting for the moment someone either decided to come in or the janitor came at the end of the working day to put his supplies away just after clubs had ended.

It sucked that he didn't have his phone though. Replacing it would be annoying. He was hoping they'd shove it in his locker instead. They did that sometimes because the last time they destroyed it Pigsy had found out and had kicked up such a fuss with the school that they'd all gotten in trouble for it. So now they just made sure he didn't have anything to call for help with inside his prison. 

The humming and movement back and forth continued as he doodled, wondering what Mei was doing at that moment. He wondered if she was as bored as he was right now. Maybe she was trying to text him and he didn't even know because he didn't have his phone. 

He let his thoughts bounce and run wild as he stayed there on the floor, lying down with his legs moving about and his tongue still out in concentration as he tried to fix his sketches so they looked exactly how he wanted them to look. 

He stayed like that for so long that eventually, he grew bored, sighing and then sighing again when nothing end of the world happened to cure his boredom. He wished he had two phones, then he'd have his secret one in his bag and they wouldn't know about it and he'd be able to keep himself entertained in here while he waited.

Eventually, he grew bored of drawing and started looking around the cupboard, rearranging everything in his boredom, and playing with some of the equipment in there. He didn't think there were any sports clubs on after school today so it was likely he'd be in here until much later. As he was looking around he came across something sitting innocently out in the open. Something that didn't belong and picked it up off the shelf in confusion.