Chapter Twenty-Nine - The First Strike

Start from the beginning

There was a small pause before our exchange was interrupted. "It's great to see you and all Lyra," Hermione began, "but we need to get into the castle. There's a horcrux there."

I looked at her for a moment before snapping my gaze back to Harry. "In the castle?"

"The final one. Then its just Nagini and him Lyra."

I nodded along but couldn't hide the sadness that washed over me at the mention of my grandmother. I froze for a moment. "She's a horcrux?" I posed, feeling as though I couldn't take in a breath.

Harry nodded. "Yeah. I'm sorry Lyra."

At his confirmation, I finally took a deep breath, turning my gaze to Abe. Despite knowing that he had not known Nagini well, if at all, but blamed himself for what had become of her, and of my mother. He had never said it, but I was sure he regretted sending them away at his doorstep.

"Can you get them in through the tunnels?" I asked.

He nodded gesturing to the back room. "This way,"

Hermione and Ron followed quickly as Harry hesitated. "Are you coming?" he posed.

"I'll go the normal way. No point crawling through a dusty tunnel when I don't need to," I explained.

"Will you not get caught?"

I pointed at myself. "Death Eater."

Potter smiled, giving me a sharp nod before hurrying after his friends. I let out a heavy sigh.

Turning my gaze to the floor, I noticed the small green gem on the ground. Rushing forward, I picked it up and turned the stone over in my hand. It didn't look any different to how it had around my neck or indeed after I had taken it off, but it felt different.

There was a thrum of power emanating from it that wasn't there before. I could feel how strong it was. The two souls battling for dominance within. If you looked closes enough, you would almost believe that you could see two separate flashes of light. One black and one white. The dark chased the light in circles and the gap between them became shorter the longer I stared at it. The cat was chasing the mouse. I shoved it into my pocket as Abe reappeared.

"They're with Neville on their way back to Hogwarts," he informed me.

I nodded slowly. "Abe, about the binding spell –"

"I shouldn't have done it," he cut me off. "You were in pain and I just..."

I didn't know what to say. What response was required in a moment like this and so instead, I just ignored his regret and my guilt.

"Will you do what I ask?" I posed.

Aberforth closed his eyes in thought, leaning his hand on a nearby chair. "You have no idea what you are asking me to do. What you have already asked me to do."

"Abe," I tried, stepping closer and placing a gentle hand on his arm. "You know it's the right thing to do. If you don't do this, then she will just find another victim to prey on."

He didn't answer, but I could tell that he was taking in my words and that, in some way, he knew they were right.

"I need you to promise me Abe." I tried to meet his gaze but he refused to look at me, eyes turned down. "Abe, please..."

"I can't do it Lyra," he told me and finally our eyes met. There were tears in them. "You're asking me to kill you, How could I ever do that?"

"I know," I replied, fighting back my own tears, "but it's the only way and you're the only one I trust will do it. You're the only one that truly knows why this curse needs to be destroyed once and for all."