Chapter Five - Another Year

Warnings: None. 

Word Count: 2,900 words. 

"Are you coming?" I asked Mattheo as we filed out of the compartment.

"I just have to grab something," he told me, eyes angling up to a black bag on the racks above us.

"Alright," I replied, slightly confused.

"Lyra!" Theo shouted back at me. "Let's go."

"Lyra," Riddle started, turning my attention back to him for a moment.

"What?" I asked him.

"Thank you," he told me. "For not hating me."

I let out a sigh. "I understand why you did what you did, or at least I am trying to, but it doesn't mean that I agree with it."

He nodded curtly before I rushed away, running after my friends.

Theo took my hand as we exited the train, following the group of students up the hill to Hogwarts.

"So what exactly is the deal with you and Riddle?" Pansy asked me as they all hung back slightly so that we stood in a line.

"He was spying on me for the entirety of last year, telling his father about what I was doing and when I was doing it and then he told him where to find my home, attacking my mother and Nika." I turned to Pansy, give her a small look.

"Shit," Theo muttered. "How could he do that?"

"Probably claims he didn't have a choice," Draco told us.

I shook my head. "He said that he didn't have a choice with the spying but that he willingly told his father about Grimmauld Place. He wanted his approval."

"You should add the part about how he was the one that cast the spell at your mother. The one that hit Lupa," Draco added.

Pansy gasped. "Nika was in a coma for a month after that," she told us, her tone seeming as though it was more of a reminded than new information.

I turned away in thought. I didn't remember that, but I must have known about it. I must have visited, been worried about her, but I couldn't remember if I had. I barely remembered her getting hurt.

"What the fuck?" Blaise spoke up, bringing my attention back to the world around me and nodding a little way up the hill.

There, at the gate to Hogwarts were people I didn't recognise and as each student approached them, they took their bags, placing them on a table not so far away and using both their wands and hands to search them.

"A checkpoint?" I asked. "What do we need that for?"

"The Ministry finally believes that You-Know-Who is back," Theo told us as we kept moving closer to them. "They probably send Aurors to guard the castle."

"And Dumbledore allowed that?" Pansy asked.

"There's rumours that he's ill," Blaise told her.

I turned my attention. "Ill?" I asked.

The dark-skinned boy nodded. "Deathly apparently. If you believe the ramblings of the Quibbler."

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

"It's a potion," I told the Auror as he held up a small vial to me.

He had swiftly taken my bag from me, searching through it at a fast pace. He had almost been finished when he noticed the small vial at the bottom of my bag.