Chapter Seven - The Weasley Wedding

They had moved him to a bed inside the Burrow. Members of the Order were quick to take the man from the front of the house and get him somewhere else. Grindlewald had been sleeping for hours and as the beginning to the wedding drew nearer, he had yet to stir. I had been watching him the entire time.

"Ceremony's about to start," Mattheo told me softly as he approached my side.

I stood in the doorway, looking at the wounded man carefully. "What happened?" I posed, knowing that Riddle didn't have an answer for me but I was still searching for one nonetheless.

"He must have done something," he replied, "pissed my father off."

I shook my head. "Gellert isn't scared of much," I told him, turning my gaze to look at the man beside me for a moment, "but he's scared of dying. He wouldn't do something to risk his life."

"And yet, even with the healing charms, the man looks like he's been beaten to a pulp," Mattheo added.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Shit."

"Hey," Riddle tried, taking my hand away and holding it in his. "You're shaking."

I looked down at the hand he held. It was, indeed, shaking. "I didn't notice."

The man let out a breath, bringing my knuckles to his mouth and kissing them gently. "What do you say we go enjoy a wedding?" he asked. "We'll worry about Grindlewald when he wakes up."

I nodded slowly. "I just can't help but think that this is something to worry about now," I told him, turning my gaze to the man on the bed for a moment. "As though this is a warning we should heed."

"A warning of what?" he questioned.

I turned back to him, placing my hands on either side of his face and giving the man a smile. "I'm reading too far into it. I'm thinking as though we aren't part of the deadliest group of wizards in the world. Torture is child's play to us."

Mattheo leaned forward, resting his forehead against mine. "I love you."

It was something we said so often lately. I love you. He had begun to tell me those words every time I was with him, constantly reminding me of it. I lived for those moments. Those moments were no matter what I had done that day and no matter what he had done, that we both still felt the same, but I couldn't help thinking that it wasn't the only reason he spoke. If I was being honest with myself, sometimes I thought that he told me he loved me because each time he did, it might be the last time we spoke, and so I always replied.

"I love you."

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

The wedding celebrations were in full swing as Bill and Fleur danced across the ground of the Burrow. The smiles on their faces put a smile on my face and I relished in the happiness around me. It had been a long time since the world around me had been right. A long time.

"No, she was the Champion," I heard Draco's voice muttered.

I stood beside the three of them. Mattheo, Draco and Felix alike. They seemed to be talking about something.

"I thought she was the sister of the Champion," Riddle replied.

"What are we talking about?" I asked, entering the conversation. I leaned back against the table behind me, bringing the glass I had been holding to my lips and taking a small sip.

"The girl Weasley married," Felix told me. "They're arguing over who she is."

"Fleur Delacour," I told the two of them. "The Beauxbatons Champion from fourth year," I put simply.