Chapter 37

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Rose Mimiteh Kuro

It had been at least a week before we were ready to return, but the trip home was silent. I knew my father and Unmei were still mourning, I was too. I had only just reunited with my mother after thinking she was dead. I never even got to tell her I loved her, she was gone and my last words to her were the lullaby she sang to me at night. Her death was even painful and long. She sacrificed herself for Kanda, so he could live on. It was a selfless, heroic act, but I was going to miss her. I had always thought she was dead until exactly half a year ago, but now that she suffered her last breath in my arms I knew she was dead.

I wasn't sure if the others were mourning her death or would even notice her missing. I just kept thinking that her painful end was somehow my fault, if I wasn't so weak or slow, I could have saved her and no one else would have died. My mother's final scene and the scene of the lunar flower burning on the crystal clear water continued to play in my head until we returned to headquarters, and even then it was hard for me to forget. When we arrived at headquarters there were these people dressed in really weird clothes with hats that covered their faces.

"Who are they?" I asked.

"They are members of central." Kanda replied.

"Dad, you should get some rest in your room." I said.

"You need rest as well." He said.

"I know, I will soon." I replied.

"I miss her too Rose." He said before leaving.

"You're back." Lenalee said.

"Hey Lenalee." I said.

"You, Kanda, and Tsuki are needed in the command room right away." She said. I nodded and walked with Kanda to the command room. When we got there, more people dressed like the ones earlier were there, and there was two other men. One of them had long blond hair, dressed in a suit and tie had two dots on his forehead, and was standing by the couch. The other one was sitting on the couch, he had a mustache, dark brown hair, and was dressed like a commanding officer.

"Was the mission successful?" Komui asked.

"Yes." I replied, looking at Unmei.

"Where is everyone else?" He asked.

"My father is freshening up in his room, the scientists we were sent to rescue are in the lab, and my mother..." I stopped.

"What about her? Did something happen?" Komui asked.

"Tsuki Kuro has died in action. There was no corps left." Kanda said.

"I am sorry for your loss." Komui said. Unmei flew around me and landed on my hand when I stretched it out in front of me.

"Did you receive her innocence?" The person on the couch asked.

"My mother's innocence has been entrusted to me as has her golem and memory." I replied flatly.

"Mimiteh, this is Commander Lvellie and Inspector Howard Link." Komui said. I nodded to them and looked back to Komui.

"If that is all, I will be leaving now." I said.

"That is all, you and Kanda may leave." Komui said.

"I will be watching over you." Inspector Link said, following us.

"Stay out of my way." I said, walking closer to Kanda. Inspector Link said nothing more and followed us. When I got to my room, Kanda kissed my forehead and smiled at me. I smiled back and walked into my room.