Chapter 13

I woke up early the next morning and left Madeline a note on my desk. I knew she found it when I heard the paper move. I acted asleep as Madeline opened the curtains and the doors to the balcony and the curtains to my bed.

"Good morning m'lady. Your parents had a meeting to attend to in the town this morning and will be back shortly. I have brought you your normal breakfast. Two pieces of toasted bread, a piece of sausage, an egg, and a glass of fresh orange juice." Madeline began. I grabbed Unmei and yawned as I sat up. I walked to my closet, grabbing my dress on the way. When I entered the closet I let Unmei go and she flew around the closet for a minute and vanished behind a dress. I listened to Madeline as she made my bed and tied the curtains to the bed poles.

"A saucer of fresh milk and some fresh beef awaits mistress Alaina." She continued. Ko'lae meowed and I knew she was sitting on the trunk at the foot of my bed like always.

"Good morning mistress Alaina." Madeline said. I walked out of my closet dressed in the black dress and didn't even notice the exorcists standing in my doorway.

"And the shoes?" Madeline asked me. I sat on the trunk and allowed her to put them on my feet. When she stood I walked onto the balcony and sat in my normal chair. She followed me with the trays of food and a hair brush and pins for my hair. She placed the meal of milk and beef on the ground for Ko'lae and set my food on the table in front of me. I ate slowly and stayed still while Madeline pulled my hair into it's normal style.

When Madeline completed this she returned to my room and I jumped slightly when she yelled.

"You should not enter m'lady's room without permission Srs." Madeline yelled, her voice furious.

"Madeline it's all right. I don't think they meant harm." I said sweetly walking into my room.

"You managed to stay hidden from the order for six months in one place." Cross said.

"It's not hard when you're good at it." I replied. Every drop of sweetness that Madeline was used to in my voice washed away and I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"It's time for you to return to the order." Kanda said.

"Allow me to gather a few of my things first. Madeline will you help me?" I said, walking to my closet. No one said anything against it and I smiled.

"Madeline, I don't want to go back and I need your help with it." I whispered to Madeline.

"Of course. What can I do?" Madeline whispered back. I heard a carriage and knew that Grace and Gregory were back.

"Play along." I whispered. I grabbed a small box from its shelf and walked out of my closet.

"Come along Ko'lae. I guess we need to go back." I sighed. Ko'lae jumped into my arms and I walked beside Cross into the main hall. Grace and Gregory were just walking through the door and I took off running for them. I forced myself to cry and plastered a scared look to my face.

"Mother, father. They... they tried to kidnap me." I cried to Grace. She stroked my hair and held me looking at the exorcists with a shocked expression.

"No we didn't. She is the one we're looking for." Allen tried to explain, shocked.

"The general said he would... k...kill you if I didn't g..g..go with them." I cried. Madeline came running down the hallway. She looked just as convincing as I sounded. Her hair was a mess and looked like it had been pulled, her dress was torn, and she even bruised her face, neck, and arm. She had even cut herself to make it look like they had beaten her.

"M'lady. Oh Lord and lady Alexander, you came just in time." She said, her voice sounded weak and she was leaning against the wall for support.

"You fiends. I trusted you in my own home." Gregory began. I could tell that the exorcists were confused and shocked by the scene and I had to resist the urge to smile. I cried even more and acted like I was afraid of them.