Chapter 12: The Secret City, Part Two

Start from the beginning

Yin didn't think Vao had gone that far. He felt like he didn't have much of a choice at this point - Vao rarely did anything for anyone. For free, anyway. Usually he charged money. Tossing his hands up with attitude, he admitted defeat. "Fine. But if I'm not having fun, I'm going back to bed until we leave."

Vao grinned, already tugging him outside with Poppy following along with a smile that was blinding. Into the sun outside, Yin squinted and shielded his eyes at the sudden change of light. The air was warm with very little chill, the sounds of the nonhuman city reaching his ears. It was almost gorgeous outside, and he wouldn't have minded going for a walk. In a human city.

A small group of children ran past them, a lamia girl crashing into him. It was at full speed, enough to make the cleric stumble. "S-sorry!"

Nothing could have prevented Yin's wrath at that point. "Don't touch me, you filthy snake!"

The little girl looked startled, her eyes growing wet. "I-I'm sorry..."

Yin opened his mouth to throw another racial insult, completely unaware that Vao was throwing something else.

POW!

The sudden force of Vao's knuckles drove into the back of his head, making him stumble to his knee. "O-ow! Vao, what the hell is wrong with you!?"

"Wot's wrong with me!? You just yelled at a kid!" Vao snapped back. "Of course I'm gonna clock you, mate! And wot's worse is she's a lamia! She can't see very good!"

Yin looked back at the girl, embarrassment crawling over his skin. Vao had a point. And yet, that made him angry with himself. Before he came here, he wouldn't have seen Vao's point at all - she'd just be another monster. So why did he feel bad for making her cry? Vao was in a foul mood. "Ugh, let's just go-"

"I... I'm sorry..."

Vao choked on his drink, Poppy's smile falling into bewilderment. Yin could feel his cheeks heating up with his self-hatred. He couldn't believe he just apologized to a monster. Against his will, he continued talking. "Just... Be more careful next time, alright?"

The lamia wiped at her eyes, nodding her head. "Okay..."

She began to pass them, but stopped in front of Vao. She squinted her eyes at him, recognition appearing seconds later. "Hey... I saw you with my mom yesterday!" She said happily. "After you left, she was saying you might be my new papa!"

Vao's face went pale. Poppy looked confused. And Yin just stared at Vao like he was the biggest idiot he had ever seen.

"Ame! Come on!" One of the kids shouted back at her. The lamia jumped at the sound of her name, giving one last wave goodbye to the adventurers. "Bye! I'll see you later!"

Vao looked at Yin, his skin a ghost white and his lips curled into a weak smile. "I-I can explain-"

"... Vao," Yin breathed. "... Don't even try..."

Vao was silent as Poppy led them down the streets, the harpy rambling on about what she and Vao did together yesterday.

"First, we ate fish at that restaurant I told him about! It's run by a fairy named Jewel! Vao said that they usually cook it where he's from, but he was willing to try it!" She went on. "And then he took me to the beach! He got really red and would yell whenever I slapped his back!"

Yin immediately looked at Vao, who already knew what he was planning. "Bruv, if you-"

Vao never finished his sentence. Wanting revenge for how his brother woke him up, Yin reeled his hand back and slapped his brother's sunburn, the thief crying out in pain. Poppy nodded. "Yeah! Just like that!"